Tile on Concrete and Cold Weather

I want to lay tile down on a concrete floor. The floor is inside, however it of course sits right on the earth and therefore is very cold. The mortar instructions say not to use on surfaces that are below 50 degrees farenhiet. The room is heated with the rest of the house, but the floor feels pretty chilly. So is there anyway for me to "take the temperature" of the floor, or does anyone have any general thoughts on the subject. I am doing this job for one of my parents friends. So I want to get it done as soon as possible, but obviously do it too soon and end up have the tile crack loose in the near future.

Thanks,
    Mark Kanof

RE: Tile on Concrete and Cold Weather

Under those conditions, that floor ain't under 50. Go for it.

Mark,

the cold concrete should be fine. There is a difference in the thin-set you use, and the time you allow it to cure. Make sure the thin-set you use is flexible and I would even go the extra mile and use the type you do not have to buy an additive for.

I would add a day onto your cure time before you walk on it to grout.

I recently did a 1200sf job (I don't do this for a living) for a church and it was on (indoor) concrete during the winter in Colorado. No problems whatsoever.

BTW, don't make the mistake of mixing your thin-set with hot water with the hopes it will warm the concrete surface, the mix is chemically designed to heat up to help the set-up process anyway. If you mix with hot water, the stuff will begin to set-up while still in your bucket and you will end up wasting a lot of money and time and saying a few cuss-words too. ;)

Billy B.

Don't know if this advice is coming too late or not, but here's an excellent tile forum. I'd definitely consult with them if I were you.
    http://johnbridge.com/vbulletin/foru...p?s=&forumid=1

Hey I appreciate the link. It isn't too late in the sense that I havn't done the job yet. On the other hand it is pretty much a constant 60 degrees these days, so I should be able to do it anytime. :) Regardless , thank you for the link, it looks like there is a lot of great information there. I read a few posts which were very informative and answered other questions I had.