Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

RE: Leaking window and ice problem.

I'd try the water thing.

I've never heard the story of the glass in the air freezing instantly.

You have a laundry room nearby? It has a standard garden hose fitting.

http://www.coolantarctica.com/galler...a_weather2.htm

Just in case you ever wanted to try it...It's kind of cool, if you'll pardon the pun.

The night I tried it on had a windchill of -32 so I supose it was perfect conditions and did exactly what you'll see in the picture on that link.

The roofing guy said today it would be a matter of simply surviving until spring and then at least partially reroofing the outside edge with rubber underlay or some such thing...

I mentioned the ventilation problem to him and he said it was possible, though difficult to tell, and again there wasn't much that could be done while theres so much snow and ice around.

I think I need to get into the habbit of raking the snow off the roof once a day is what I think...

Rob.

Maybe once after every snowfall would be sufficient... :)

If you run a continuous stream of hot water out there, the first bit will freeze but the stream behind it'll thaw it back out again. After a bit, the roof under the hot water'll heat up and stop freezing the water.

I've used hot water to thaw all kinds of stuff up here in Vermont in the dead of cold.

EDIT: Can you get the female end of that hose to your water heater? It should have a hose connection at the drain at the bottom.

Don't get much hotter'n that... even if it IS at the bottom of the tank.

-- Tim --

Don't walk in front of me, I will not follow.
    Don't walk behind me, I will not lead.
    Walk beside me, and be my friend.

If only...it hasn't stopped snowing for days.

Rob.

Oh, boy - that DOES emit an odeur.

Here's wishin' ya clearer weather soon!

-- Tim --

Don't walk in front of me, I will not follow.
    Don't walk behind me, I will not lead.
    Walk beside me, and be my friend.

I am pretty sure that you can get an attachment to hook up your sink to a garden hose at a waterbed supply place if you can still find one.

good luck to ya .. i'm just going through this .. thank god there's only two spots in my house that have leaks .. one through a corner of a window that's not sealed right (water leaking behind siding, going into seal) .. that will melt off ...

and one in my garage that i'm trying to finish off .. sealed that one off today ..

there are roofers who will break down the ice dams for you .. ya pay big $$ for it. i found my attic was holding hot air due to heat ducts leaking (they weren't capped properly) .. which was melting the snow, causing the ice damns at the edge of the roof ...

i was getting ice cicles about 5' long down the edge of the roof, and had about 6" thick - 1' thick ice dams ... ended up calling roofers out to break it up with calcium chloride ... took 4 guys, 3 hours on the roof (i have a 2000 sq. ft one story house, ice dams spanned 40' on the front eave and back eave of the house, so there was a lot of real estate to cover .. and $900 later to get rid of all those dams ..

then of course a week later, we get 6 more inches of snow and ice in 30 degree weather, then the next day it gets sunny .. so, the snow the sun melts the snow on the roof now and i get more dams .. so got the cicles back again now, the leak partially back ... at least i was able to patch them until spring, where i will put up a new drip edge around the house and some facia flashing ..

major problem now is because of the moisture problem in the attic with heat, i was getting moisture in the soffits, and now i got ice buildup under each vent in the soffit, so that ice is preventing any cold air keeping the attic extremely cold ..

welcome to the wonderful world of winter :)
    i hate winter! :(