Plywood countertop

I'm thinking of adding a nice finished plywood countertop with hardwood edging to a small island in out kitchen. When I attached the edging, it will undoubtedly not match up flush with the plywood top. I thought I would use a flush cut bit in a router table and run the panel through but what happens when it reaches the end and hits the adjoining edging? The corners will not be milled flush? Correct? Anyone have a solution?

ps - I'm assuming that a nice piece of oak ply with several layers of poly will look nice. Any suggestions otherwise? The piece is about 4' x 3'

RE: Plywood countertop

LL

Don't go all the way to the edge. Use a plane, chisel or sand the corners Flush.

OR

Clamp some scrap onto the ends, so that your bit does not run over the edge (that's how I'd do it). (If I had a digital camera, I'd take some pics for ya, but I don't have one.) Make real sure you have your depth of cut dead on so you do not cut into the plywood.
    Keystone

One of the Original Charter Members. Circa 2000

No longer here. Can now be found at WoW.

Thanks for the advice. That was fast. So you think the plywood is a good idea for a countertop? Its kind of a country setting. The room its near is panelled in wood. How would I make it thick enough? Use 3/4 ply and maybe another sheet of 1/4 under it. Then add the trim?

LL

I'm sure someone else will jump in about how to protect the plywood. But if done right I feel it would make a nice looking top.

I would not double the top though. Just the edge. I like the look of a thick top, say 1 1/2". So if you were to run a strip arond teh underside, and then band it that would look real nice. I take it you are placing this on top of a cabinet base? Or is it going to be open underneath? How about doing a contrasting stripe say walnut on oak etc around the counter top or the edge banding? Makes a real nice look.
    Keystone

One of the Original Charter Members. Circa 2000

No longer here. Can now be found at WoW.

I think what you are envisioning will look nice. You have probably thought of the other alternatives, which are more enticing to me, but maybe not for your situation.

What will the counter be used for? How big will it be?

I would hesitate to use plywood because it will be harder to repair if it gets damaged. Because of the thin veneer, you won't be able to sand it much to get rid of scratches, burns or knife marks. The plywood would obviously be cheaper in the short run, but not in the long run.

I would also hesitate to use poly on a countertop. It will protect it very nicely from stains and stuff like that which would alleviate some of the concerns of my previous comments, but the poly could chip if knocked around or a knife is used on it. I wouldn't want poly in my stir fry :)

So, if this is going to be an island for food prep, high traffic, lots of kids treating it harshly, etc, I'd be hesitant to go with ply and poly. If it is more of a desktop, low traffic area or a place where hotpads and cutting boards are always used, then it may be an OK option.

Of course, these are just devils advocate type thougts. Also, for a small counter top, solid oak would not be that much more than the plywood. Best of luck with it!

Kevin