storage cabinet for can goods(kitchen)

I would like to build a storage cabinet in my kitchen to store can & bottle goods. The size I would like 34widex24deepx96high. How would I go about this?( I am a newbie at woodworking):) Also, has anyone been to woodshopdemos.com? They have a dovetail template master that looks pretty good and pics to show how to build a template.:)

RE: storage cabinet for can goods(kitchen)

Richard--

Your question, essentially "How do I build a cabinet?" is pretty broad. Hard to answer in a forum like this. Try your local bookstore or library for a book or three on cabinetmaking.

Ask here if you get stuck on specifics.

---Jerry

You need to learn from other people's mistakes. You'll never have enough time to make them all yourself.

I would like to build a storage cabinet in my kitchen

So would I, but the wife would kill me!

Any how, I assume you want to build a built in cabinet? plywood (birch would be my choice, but you could use what ever) for the carcass, built in the shop, and then install. Id secure it to the wall though. I would then face frame, add doors, and trim the top/bottom to match what ever you already have.

34widex24deepx96high.

Since plywood comes in 4X8 sheets this size will cause some waste. Since you plan on using it to store can goods, Id also make the shelves out of plywood.

Keystone

One of the Original Charter Members. Circa 2000

No longer here. Can now be found at WoW.

One piece of advice, you might want to re-think the 24" deep part of the size. I built some cabinets for canned food type storage that are 24" deep and most of the time you could roll a bowling ball along the back of the shelves without hitting anything. I think it's just too deep to stack a bunch of canned goods, and find anything again reasonably.

Actually, a 24" deep pantry is a good idea, provided that the shelves are "U" shaped for easy access....

Dano

Some friends just paid major dinero to have a full custom kithen installed, so I'll used their can storage method as the current "state of the art."

It's a cabinet about 12" deep and each shelf is actually a small drawer, about 2" high on heavy duty slides. Very nice. No reaching over cans to the back, just roll out the drawer.

Bob

When we put the kitchen in my house we got 2 24"x24" x 84" pantries and put them side by side. Yes, they are very deep. I made pull out shelves on the real heavy duty ball bearing slides out of 3/4 ply with sides and a back(sort of a drawer)with an open front. These are the full extension type. The only complaint I have is DO NOT use the cheap little plastic mounting brackets, they break. Instead, attach 4 boards(2 in front and 2 in back on the sides) from the bottom to the top of the pantry so you can screw the slides to these, and you will have no problems with the loaded shelves crahsing down.

Just something to consider.

Mike