wood staining temperatures

Hello all,

I'm making some kitchen cabinets and need to stain them, however it's quite cold where i live now. I generally use minwax oil-based stain, and it's label says nothing about minimum temperature.

Anyone know if it's alright to apply stain when the temperature (air and materials) will be between 20 - 40 F?

thanks
    matt

RE: wood staining temperatures

As a rule of thumb, I never apply anything (even glue) below 55 F.

www.geocities.com/wefnut

RE: wood staining temperatures

Don't even think it. You need to be at least 55-60 degrees wood and material before staining.Also if there is a possibility of making something latter to match then you will need to duplicate the conditions to get the same results. I learned the hard way that if you want to match stains you need to duplicate the prep and all conditions in order to get a good match. You need to find a heated space to place your materials in and allow it to come to temp and then stain.Keep it warm until dry. This is probably not what you wanted to hear but cold wood will not accept stain very well and cold stain will take forever to dry if at all better to do it right than to have to redo it or hate the piece because of poor staining results. Good luck