Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

RE: Main electrical panel next to sink?

Is the electrical panel in the same room? If so I think the NEC requires a minimum of 36" clear space on both sides and in front of the panel.

Mike

yes the electrical panel is in the same room, it is mounted on the back wall (sorry for the bad illustration).

Man... that looks a lot like something that might cost somebody an eye (so to speak)...

...unless you can utterly encapsulate the breaker panel & totally splashproof it behind another panel. C'n you imagine what'd happen if 240V at 200A got zitched through you with your hands in the sink? We'd never find enough to make hamburgers with...

EDIT: It's not LIKELY to happen, true. Not LIKELY. BUT.........

-- Tim --

Ring belle
    For night service.
    :)

I don't know anything about darkrooms or the size of equipment like an enlarger. And I don't know how much counter space you need.

It seems like you should have the space to set up the counter and sink away from the panel. Your door already swings out so it isn't in the way. I don't know where you will tie in to your plumbing but assume you will have to run it "someplace" anyway.

When I was about 8 my Mother was washing dishes when a lightning bolt hit the generator house. She flew across the room. I'd hate to hear that you flew across your new darkroom.

Like mentioned above to meet code you must keep the area around the pannel clear. 36 inches minimum.

I know from my line of work I can not put a pressure tank within 3 feet of an elecrical panel. My guess is that is requirement for all pumbing. It could be the building inspectors want to make things difficult for me.

If your concerned about meeting building codes its always best to call and ask. Never volinteer your name or address however.

If you don't care about codes, I still wouldn't recomend it.

at least I wouldn't fly very far as it's only 50" wide! Ok, bad joke.

As far as the plumbing goes...

The wall on the right carries the weight of the staircase that goes from the 1st to the 2nd floor. There is a crawl space (roughly 4ft tall) under those stairs that is immediately behind that right wall (facing in from the door). There is already some plumbing in there for an outdoor spigot and the drain for the AC unit attached to the outter wall. So I would attach the sink to the right wall with the plumbing going into the crawl space.

As far as darkrooms go, you don't need much room at all, depending upon the size prints you are making. The floorspace is just about as tight as I could manage, but it's doable.

What if I made an encloser that completely covered the metal housing that the breaker box is contained in?

I could attach it to the wall and seal the door tightly. It would essentially be a box that covers the actual box.

Am I just stupid?

Realistically...

You aren't going to be doing many 16x20 prints unless you make a system to stack the trays.

Your sink is going to have to extend into the doorway area by about 4 inches, perhaps less if you get an old single compartment sink that hangs off the wall.

I would mount the enlarger on the same wall as the panel and make the easel removable so that the enlarger can gain the extra height by projecting to the floor. BTW - If the enlarger is wall mounted, then two braces from the top of the enlarger to the wall will make it as steady as a rock.

As for clearance to the electrical panel. The panel s/b higher than counter height, i.e. 36". As long as the area in front of the electrical panel permits easy access to the breakers there should be not problem. It's not going to be a fire hazzard. You're not going to be inspected. But you will have to remove the counter/sink if you move.

Oh, one other thing. Be sure to put a bathroom door style lock on the darkroom door. DAMHIKT.

as far as the 16x20, you're right about the space for the trays. I had my previous set up in an odd shaped room. It was shaped like an L (with a fat square part and a little skinny offshoot) and I just cut off the skinny offshoot. It was approximately 5'x8' and that just about was as small as I'd like. I did the ole' dry side/wet side routine and basically stood in place and turned around to process the prints.

I build a stand for my enlarger and the ceiling height allowed for 16x20 prints on the easle. I used the underpart for drying racks I fashioned out of screens I made. I could store about 10, 16x20 prints for drying

In this setup I might have to build a multi-level counter for the different trays for processing because of the lack of horizontal countertop space.

Main electrical panel next to sink?

Hello there fellas.

I own a single-family home, three stories, 2200 sqft (including 2-car garage).

I am into photography but there is really only one possible place to set up a darkroom. Unfortunately it's the same place the main electrical panel is located. It is a small storage room off the 2-car garage.

(see illustration)

I need to have a sink and counter top, plus a place to put my enlarger. I was thinking of an "L" shaped design that would place the sink on the wall adjacent to the electrical panel and my enlarger against the back wall.

My questions are:

1. Am i stupid?
    2. Is this highly illegal?
    3. What could be done to use this space?

here's a picture for better clarity.