Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Joe

Straightening bowed boards

Hi All,
    I know I saw an example of a jig somewhere that allowed you to straighten bowed lumber on a table saw... but I can seem to find the example again.

I have several 12' x 12" ash boards that are pretty straight until the last 2 feet or so, where they bow about 1/2". I just want to clean up one edge, but with the length, I am having a manageability issue.

Any ideas? Is connecting a known straight board to the bowed one the way to go? How would I connect it without harming the ash?

Thanks!!

RE: Straightening bowed boards

I use a sled just like Marc's. But mine was built to use the saw fence not the miter slot. I like the idea of the slot better and will change mine to fit that solution.

....Then there's the ol' tried and true method of using a (gasp!) #7 or #8 jointer plane...Works particularly well on those long, hard to handle lengths. :o

Dano

Dano,

That is what I do, or my jointer, if there is a slight bow in a board that once had a straight edge. But, I get a lot of rough wood that might still have bark on one edge or it is far from a square edge. I use the TS to get a rough straight edge then go to the plane or jointer for the finish work. You should see some of the stuff I have cleaned up and got square with this method. One board I trued up a month ago had the cutoff that went from 0 to abou 2 inches back to almost 0 over a 10 ft length. I would hate to think how long that would have taken with a plane...

Lou,

Not "knocking" the method, just providing an alternative...a half inch is a lot different than two...I'll say one thing though; a board that starts out straight, rough sawn or otherwise, and ends up with 2 inches of bow tells me sumptin' is wrong in River City...;)

Dano

Gillette, Wyoming, United States of America.

Not knowing what you're using the ash for, but it might make it a weee bit easier to handle if you cut them length plus a little first. If you need them that long then you already have some good advice. :)

Randy

Joe

Thanks for all the great advice all. Unfortunately, I don't own a jointer (yet)... I have gotten by with a flush trimming bit and router so far.

The sled looks like the ticket, though. One question... does the base of those clamps cause any problem with board tilt as it travels along the fence? Do you support the fence and blade sides with a shim or something? With narrow boards, I would't imagine it would be an issue, but is it with heavier wider stock?

One question...
    >does the base of those clamps cause any problem with board
    >tilt as it travels along the fence? Do you support the
    >fence and blade sides with a shim or something? With narrow
    >boards, I would't imagine it would be an issue, but is it
    >with heavier wider stock?

I thought of that too...probably why I use a sled. Maybe I'll get those clamps just to try them if I ever get around to placing an order for some Shop Fox goodies.

Your right there, but it didn't atart out straight. It had bark on that side. it was not ever cut. And I didn't take it as a rebuff. I am usualy doing a lot of stock and I find it easy to get all the stock very close to true then to to the jointer and start the 4 square process. If I am only dealing with a board or two I might get the hand plane out but still most of the time will fire up the jointer.

Here's another version of a sled I found....

http://a3.cpimg.com/image/AD/9A/1589...-014000F0-.jpg