Good Flowers for Poor Soil?

I'm not sure how many gardeners we have on here, but I have a dilemma right now. In my front yard I have an area that hasn't been planted in a while and has some pretty poor soil conditions. It's practically all clay. In the past I've tried vincas and petunias there (I think I also did marigolds one year) and none of them really took off.

I plan to get some good topsoil for this area and work it in and also will use peat moss when everything is planted. However, I need some suggestions for flowers that will grow nicely in poor soil.

The area gets full sun. I also live in an area that is prone to droughts in July/August.

RE: Good Flowers for Poor Soil?

Dang, I'm a long LONG way from being a flower-knowin' kinda' guy, but I do know that there's a whale of a lot of clay here in Vermont's soil, and I do know that there's a lot of lupine growing wild up here. I have no clue whether a fella could buy lupine or not, nor whether it'd work for your place.

-- Tim --

Member of the
    Robert "Limey" Bolton Memorial
    International
    Volunteer Mentorship and Assistance
    Programme

Marie's awake now - she recommends lupine, foxglove, phlox, nicotiana, some roses... your local garden center can make recommendations (you don't have to BUY from them, you can just ASK them, then buy - or get - from anywhere).

Check around & see what grows wild in your area. THAT should grow well wherever you plant it.

-- Tim --

Member of the
    Robert "Limey" Bolton Memorial
    International
    Volunteer Mentorship and Assistance
    Programme

I'll second the Phlox - there are low-gowning varieties and more upright forms. They do really well in the 10" strip of crappy soil between my retaining wall and fence - almost no water (once established) needed and it's in full sun.

I don't know how large an area your working with but my brother had some red clay soil. We raked up a couple pickup loads of scrub oak leaves from my parents place (in the Fall) and tilled that into his soil along with some high nitrogen lawn fertilizer (not the weed & feed) next Spring his soil was like black gold.

~Mike

You might also try Periwinkles. They are about like a weed but bloom all summer and take full sun.

Cody
    Tyler, TX

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep for that which he cannot lose.