Quikrete cure time?

Hey there,

This is my first experience working with quikrete other than post holes. I filled a rather large hole in my driveway caused by roots. I mixed in a wheel barrow and just guestimated on the water. I don't "think" I added too much, but after 26 hours after pouring, the concrete can still be scratched with my fingernail. But I wonder if the temp has anything to do with it. It has been pretty cool here. Between 37-55 degrees yesterday and today. Would that slow it down?

Thanks,
    Matt

RE: Quikrete cure time?

It'll slow it, but not tremendously. Many, many times I've been on jobsites where concrete was poured in below-freezing temperatures.

It WILL stay "green" for some time, setting up harder & harder every day. I'd try to stay off it for several days at least. Meanwhile, DON'T LET IT DRY OUT. If it dries out, the dry parts will fail to harden right. sprinkle it with a garden hose & lay some plastic over it to hold the moisture in. It needs that moisture to cure.

-- Tim --

Member of the
    Robert "Limey" Bolton Memorial
    International
    Volunteer Mentorship and Assistance
    Programme

As Tim said it will cure slower when it is cool, below 70. It will cure just give it time and don't let it freeze. If it gets below freeing I would cover it with straw or hay and some plastic.

Thanks y'all. Freezing shouldn't be a problem. I will wet it daily and try to keep it covered.