Random orbital drywall sander?

Anyone use a random orbital sander on drywall? Is this a bad idea? What grit disc should I use? I have not seen that they make drywall discs for a random orbital sander which is why I was thinking that maybe there was a flaw with my plan. TIA. Phil

RE: Random orbital drywall sander?

I have used the ROS to sand drywall. Not the ideal way to sand. Dust will go everywhere. I hook mine to my shop vac, and that works ok but the filter clogs very quick. My sil said he used his vac with a bucket of water between the sander and vac. Claims it did good job. The drywall guy who did our family room had a sander on a wand that had rubber seal around sanding head. Hooked to large vac and created very little dust.
    Brian

Wish I knew then what I know now.

Phil,

Go to the rental area of your local BORG Orange. They can rent a Porter Cable drywall sander and vacuum...

David L. Velleux
    Artisan Custom Cabinetry & Woodworking
    David L. Velleux
    Artisan Custom Cabinetry & Woodworking (http://www.artisanccw.com)
    General Manager

Ditto on the dust isssue.

Another problem is how easy it is to sand a burred surface on the paper face of the wallboard. These get really prickly when paint is applied and necessitate additional surface repair.

art

I was using the hand sanding pad with the drywall sanding screen and that usualy works very well and fast, but it was making me tired and dropping a lot of dust so I decided to use my ROS. I used my Festool ETS 125 with Crysal 100G paper and vacuum. Not only did it work super fast it did so with NO dust. I love that sander / vacuum combination.