deerwoodpine

What do I use to debark pine trees logs for furniture?

Hi I am new to this and we are starting to cut down some pine trees for furniture. We are not sure what to use to get the bark off the tree? DO you know what kind of tools I could use or a good way of getting the bark off the trees?
    Any help would be welcome.
    thank you
    Neal & katrina

RE: What do I use to debark pine trees logs for furniture?

Go to Rockler and buy the Pine Tree Debarker model 23-560 :)
    [font size = "7"]JUST KIDDING!
    [/font]We have a local guy who makes rustic furniture from tree limbs and he uses a large tank of water with a grate inside to hold the wood out of the water and propane burners underneath to heat it. The wood stays in the covered tank until the bark starts to actually drop off the limb. After the limbs dry, he sands them with a pneumatic drum sander and a flap sander.
    Good luck
    Marc

I'm curious....if I cut my own trees down and de-bark them, what else do I have to "worry" about before I plane or cut out sizes? Bugs? Insects?

Thomas J. Lawrence

Well, the insects won't hurt the equipment and they're high in protien so you can snack on them while you're cutting the logs. I'm not sure if there's any issues while rough cutting the logs into stock (It really depends on what kind of mill you're using) but you will need to let the lumber dry. If you plane wood before it's dry then when it does finally dry it will be warped again and will need to be replaned. I don't work with green lumber but I have heard that the drying time is about a year/inch of thickness. That's something you'll need to consider. You'll be pretty surprised on how your furniture looks a year after you built it with green wood...

-Tom

Sonny Edmonds

Jeese.
    What a bunch of answers!

This one MAYBE I can help with.
    OK, many different catalogs have those chainsaw carvers deals in them that knaw away the wood when mounted on a chainsaw.
    It amounts to a length of chainsaw chain on a drum shaped wheel mounted on a bar that bolts onto a chainsaw and is driven by a chain.
    Essentially exactly, more or less, as a debarker at the edge of a sawmills log pond. But a heck of a lot smaller.
    Floating the logs in the pond soaks the dirt off the logs and softens the bark.
    Or you could maybe dry them till it loosens, but your wood would probably check bad (cracks).
    Either way, your in for a rough row to hoe.

Or you could par-boil them like the forid-ians do. GOTTCHA Marc!

Good luck, take some water with you to replace what you sweat out.

Sonny

You didn't mention where you're getting these trees, but since you're new to this, I thought I'd warn you about "city trees." If a tree is in town, in a yard, etc., it can often have nails driven into it, clothesline, wire fencing, etc. You never know. That makes it dangerous for running through the saw.

Linda

I use a zippo, and for added entertainment lighter fluid.