4x10 and 4x12 veneer plywood

Most of the places around me don't carry 3/4 oak or birch veneer ply in these sizes, and the one place that does, charges $130 for a 4 x 10 sheet, and $210 for a 4 x 12.

Why does it cost so much more than a 4 x 8 sheet that I can get for $40? And why is it only available with a MDF core?

I bought one 4 x 10 sheet today for a job that I'm doing (it'll be charged to the customer, don't ya know).:o

RE: 4x10 and 4x12 veneer plywood

i guess your post was rhetorical, but anyway... :)
    i remember seeing 4x12 for sale in VT and i thought it was the wierdest thing. i dont see antying bigger than 8 her in upstate NY. curious...
    BTW, out of curiousity, what do you need it for? are you really making panels over 10' long? wow. i am impressed. for myself, i cant imagine the weight of real maple 7 or 9 ply 3/4" 4x12 sheets. wow. :P
    later,
    mapleman

Mapleman,

Yeah, it's rhetorical - it is, after all the "Just Talking" forum, and I guess I had my little rant, but I'm over it now.

I'm making a bookcase with base cabinets that have doors and drawers. The unit is 10 feet long, and I'm using the 10 foot piece of plywood for the top of the base cabinets. I wanted to have a one piece top, as opposed to having a seam somewhere in the middle. I will put a solid oak face on the front. Then mount the bookcases on top of that, with a crown molding for the transition to the ceiling of the customers' home.:)

I did the same thing this weekend with a 4x10 sheet of maple. Used it as a countertop on an entertainment center.

ALRIGHT ALREADY!!!!!!!!! :)
    so you told me to go chit in my hat eh? :P
    no just kidding. i was just wodnering outloud if when and where would i ever use a 10' piece of veneer plywood. i stand corrected, and useful information for me, nonetheless.
    And as for the rhetorical bit: have you had any luck finding more reasonable prices for these sheets?
    later,
    mapleman

Nah, that is the most reasonable price ($130). I had to drive 35 miles to get that price (in suburban Chicago traffic that is under mega constuction). The guy down the street had to special order it, and it was $175. Of coarse he also charged me $65 for a 20 foot 2 1/2" hose for my DC.

The thing also is that I only really needed a 2 x 10 piece, but they would only go 4 x 10. So now I have to store the rest until a need comes up for it, and of coarse, I'll need a piece 25" by 10 feet then.

D'oh!:7

:)
    of course, we wouldnt have it any other way.
    gotta love the rules of mr. murphy
    mapleman