The planks are joined with Gorilla Glue and pocket screws. A 2x4 was added to one end the same way, in order to give the extra length I needed to fit the vise. The 3/4" MDF has been attached with Tite Bond glue and left over deck screws. Last night I bought the oak for the banding. I paid about a buck more at Lowe's than I would have at the hardwood company, but I didn't have to wait a week for them to size it and I didn't have to drive 40 miles round trip.
The weather's too lousy to be outside today, so I'll probably mark the tempered hardboard for the cut-out for the Kreg Universal Bench Klamp, throw together the pattern for cutting it out, flip the top over and do the prep work for mounting a drawer to hold the Kreg accessories. (The drawer and rails are left over from when I converted a Wal-Mart rolling kitchen island to my router table.)
If the pattern cutting bit arrives today, I might tackle the cut-out, put the double-stick carpet tape on the hardboard and put it in place, use the pattern bit to trim the MDF and hardboard to match the planks, add the oak band, and mark the hole placement for the bench vise.
After a weekend conference, on Sunday or Monday I should be able to mount the UBK, drill the bench dog holes, re-attach the bench top to the legs, and mount the vise and drawer.
I'm only getting a little done each day, but I'm having a blast!
Bad thing about not having a digital camera - can't post pics until I go to the Big W and get the film processed and put on CD. Plus, some of the pictures are on the end of a roll and some will be on the start of a new roll.
I've got a pic of the original bench. Today I'll be shooting the plank assembly, then the MDF addition. I'm hoping I get to shoot the final pics on Monday or Tuesday.