Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    dicklaxt

RE: How much does it cost to build a 24x36 shop?

In the summer of 1994, I built a 16 x 20 on a slab for $7.65 per sq.ft.
    I dug the foundation ,I laid the rebar and mesh and hired the concrete work done. I then did all the framing,siding,roofing and electrical and then the doors & windows and painting.

If you were to do all this yourself at 4 times the 1994 prices we are talking about $23,000.........just a guage.

dick

Wow! I paid less that $15ft for my metallic building.

I'm gussing my idea of a "shop" and others are different. To me a 30x30 insulated metallic building would be a NICE shop. I actually plan to add a 20x36 addition to the back of my garage as my shop.

I'm guessing most of you are up north? In Houston, you can hang a freshly cut 2x4 from a tree and it'll be gone in a month. Lots of termites, carpenter ants, etc. Also factor in that we get an average of 60in's of rain a year. If you have something made of wood down here, you better put it 2 ft off the ground or exterminate it REALLY REALLY good, or it'll be worm food in no time.

Not much of a winter here, but when it gets cold I can heat the garage up with a small Dearborn heater using propane. In the summer when it gets really hot and humid, a 1 ton window unit keeps it fairly cool.

"I just don't understand...
    I've cut it three times and it's still too short!"

I guess it also depends on where you live. I'm in the Florida Panhandle and my new shop just got it's permits. I'm having it built, but it's a 22' X 36' attached shop, it'll have double paned windows, one garage door (framed for a second one, never know) with vinyl siding. Other than that it's basicly a shell no heat, no A/C. Start to finish about 25K, I 'll still need to power it and I'm "guessing" another 1-2k for the electric.

dicklaxt

Right you are Brad ,I'm in Rosenberg and after I built that shop I had termites about 6 months later.....

dick

I spent around 15k for a 20x24 shop with 2 windows, reg door and roll up door on a concrete pad in NC. Hardiplank siding, hip roof, 9 ft ceiling. Included 100 amp electric service.

I wired, hung lights, insulated and paneled the inside myself for another 1000 dollars maybe.

A neighbor put up a 24x36 shop with 10 ft ceilings and a second floor, side porch areas, etc for around 50k. Hardiplank siding, concrete pad, framed 16 in centers, two ft brick base. His shop has water, cable and complete electric installation included in the price.

I have another friend a few miles away who put up a metal building over twice as large as mine for around 15k. It's nice.

Seems like a metal shop is a good value. My neighborhood won't allow a metal building. Shop has to match house, etc. Pain in the butt.

Yep, it depends on lots of stuff,

Location really does have alot to do with it.

Also, there are no right or wrong shops. What is great to one individual may not necessarily satisfy another.

I saw one workshop where a really big guy was doing scroll sawing in an 8x10 shed. He was happy with that. Is he wrong? no!

In the Fine Woodworking Special Annual Issue of Tools & Shops the shop shown is probably $200,000 or more. Most likely $75 - $100 per square foot. Is he right? For him yes, for me, no!

The cost of a workshop to satisfy an individual personality can only truly be answered by that individual. There are no right or wrong answers.

The picture shown is not my shop -- Drool, drool. It is featured in the Fine Woodworking Winter 2002/2003 issue.

You bet I would love to have that, but I would not be able to maintain it.

Around $35/sq.ft would give you a decent shop.But again it all depends on what you will do inside about insulation, electrics, heater, sink, etc...
    Price will go up considerably.Here is a building guide detailing the cost of every step, it should give you a small idea about the total cost.
    Another option would be a garage kit type building, you could then modify it to accommodate your needs.
    Still the best way to find out would be to get several estimates and see the better option.
    Here is a good article about new workshops.
    Hope this helps

it c05ts h3aps 0f mon!ies to bi 4 51ab

I built a 20 x 24 shop at my old house in SE Al. I spent approx $5K, slab, 2 x 4 walls on 16" center, exterior ply, metal roof. I was trained in electric field for my job so did all the electric myself. I did not insulate, but had a 10K btu a/c and a wood stove. Both did a good job for what ever season it was.
    You can spend as much or as little as you want for a shop, it all depends on what you want.
    Wayne.

My father was my mentor for my woodworking hobby.