ARIZONA_DDW

HELP FREE HANGING KITCHEN CABINET

HAS ANY ONE BUILT A FREE HANGING KITCHEN CABINET
    NOT ATTATCHED TO ANY WALLS. ONLY THE RAFTERS.

I HAVE A PININCULA COUNTER TOP THAT IS ABOUT 8 FEET LONG.
    I WANT TO ADD CABINETS ABOVE TO UTILISE THE WAISTED SPACE
    ABOUT 8 FT LONG, 3 FEET HIGH, AND 18 INCHES WIDE.
    I WANT DORS ON BOTH SIDES.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.

DWENTHINE@YAHOO.COM

ROBERT

RE: HELP FREE HANGING KITCHEN CABINET

Keep in mind that the dimensions of your "box" lengthwise is limited to the spacing of your ceiling joists.

It's fairly simple from that point. If you want your cab to finish out at 36", you've got to cut the END panels at 48" and run up through the sheetrock to attach them to the joists. This is called a "suspended" upper, and you'll also want to run a couple of screws through the cab top into the joists.

The dimensions you specify are going to add up to one heavy box, and it is absolutely crucial that it is well fastened. I suggest that you use 3/4 material for cab "top" and cleat the 48" end panels with 2x4 to the top of the joists. Remember: screws are cheap.

ARIZONA_DDW

THANK YOU

MABEE I WILL DEVIDE THE 1 BOX INTO 2 BOXES

NEVER USE STAPLE WHERE I CAN USE NAILES
    NEVER USE NAILES WHERE I CAN USE SCREWS
    NEVER USE SCREWS WHERE I CAN USE BOLTS

WILL BE BUILDING THE HANGING CABINET THIS FALL
    DURRING THE SUMMER I WILL BE BUILDING MY SHOP IN THE GARRAGE

PLAN ON USING THE PLANS AT POPWOOD.COM FOR THE TABLE SAW.

HAVE 1 WARDS RADIO-ARM-SAW THAT CAN BE USED FOR A SHAPER.
    THE AUXILARY SHAFT TURNS AT 3 TIMES THE SAW SHAFT.

WILL BE GETTING A TABLE SAW FOR ABOUT $500 TO $600, AND A 3 HP ROUTER, AND BISCUT CUTTER HERE IN PHOENIX.

Frank J Savastano

I have hung cabinets as you have described by running threaded rods up through the insides of the corners of the cabinets and fastening from underneath with a fender washer and nut and attaching them to the ceiling beams. This worked out well, as I could pull the cabinets tight to the ceiling.Hope this will be of some help.

Bob H

Build your cabinets as usual with reenforced corners for the threaded rods and make tubes (same as cabinet) of wood, square, hex, round, whatever to hold the cabinet away from the ceiling whatever distance and hide the rods which should be mounted into heavy supports fastened to ceiling joist in the ceiling. If unable to access attic, use steel "c" brackets inside tubes fastning with lag screws top and bolts to cabinet.