Out of curiosity, how bad does particle board kill router bi

Out of curiosity, how bad does particle board kill router bits?

I have a project coming up that requires a few straight grooves and rabbet joints. I have a stockpile of particle board that would be perfect for what I need. But at the same time, I don't want to kill $50.00 in router bits. I have never used a router on particle board before. Does anyone have any input on this?

Thanks,

Andy

RE: Out of curiosity, how bad does particle board kill route

In my experience, particle board destroys router bits, and the result is less than satisfactory anyway. Even if you are taking shallow cuts, little bits of PB will chip out and result in a rough surface.

Because you are looking for dados and rabbets, I would use a table, or maybe even a circular saw. They do sell blades that will work well with pb, but an old combination blade would be my first choice as I hate to use quality cutters on pb. I did have a particle project that required the cuts to be as smooth as possible, so I used my "main" and favorite blade - a CMT combination. It was melamine covered particle and it cut very well on it. Zero chipping on the melamine and the cut was as smooth as pb will become. No avoiding the little pits and voids though.

That's what I thought the answer was going to be. Looks like plywood will be my next option then. It's just a quick table that doesn't require all that high of a quality to it. Thanks for the info.

Andy

Just buy a cheapy carbide bit and then throw it out when done -- or keep for other particle board/MDF projects. I try and not use my good bits with that stuff.

If it is not burning the particle board/MDF it is still probably good for another use.

Good luck, Randy

Yeah, your right. I have a low quality 1\2" bit at home that I could sacrifice. I was a little nervous to use it cause it is part of a Sears $9 bit set. But with a MX Chest protector, helmet and goggles, I should be alright! :o

Just kidding of course. I will put it to use though.

Thanks,

Andy

I hope you're kidding. If the cutter were to snap or lose a carbide tip, none of that ppe would do any good.

I'd be leaning more towards using a saw of some kind to make the slots, etc.

Matt

Co-president of the Anti-Nanny Filter League.

How bad does particle board kill router bits....
    I don't know the answer specifically but you should get enough mileage out of your bits to complete a project if you keep the cut light and have a diamond card type sharpener on hand to dress the edge occasionally.
    This way the degradation will not be so rapid...once an edge starts to blunt it goes bad to worse very quickly.... the process isn't in volved just a few rubs on the flat side of the cutter.
    As others have stated a carbide saw blade is a much better proposition.
    Wear a dust mask and proper safety glasses; if it's melamine coated the shards are small but deadly, in any event the stuff they use to bond all that sawdust together is not designed to promote healthy lungs ... :)

Have fun

Limey