This has really been a bummer... after taking tons of antibiotics and a zillion other pills I went back to work, and my throat immediately closed up on me and my lymph nodes/side of my neck is swollen again... and if I talk for any length of time the throat or larynx seizes up (sorta) and chokes me/makes me cough...
What the hell is this???
I go to a EENT guy in the morning... man, I have missed so much work that I am no longer being paid... I have the Medical Leave Allowance which means I am not in trouble, but I have completely used up all my leave and sick time and am now living on savings...
Frustrating, to say the least!
Hopefully the new guy tomorrow will figure something out....
Darn Marc, you asked about this before, and got lots of good answers. Basically you have some sort of allergy, and what ever it is is something at the office. A few years back there was some big to do over some thing referred to as "Sick Building Syndrome". Don't know whatever came out of it, but . . .
Could be some sort of mold in the HVAC system that has built up over time so that others there developed immunities to it when it was in smaller dosages, but you being relatively new don't have the immunity. Could also be an environmental thing which is found in greater concentration in your building than otherwise, and again it is something that folks native to the area, or at least having lived there for some time have built up an immunity.
Or else, you're allergic to the work done there. ;)
Different allergens cause different reactions and reaction types in different people. Seems the docs would be able to narrow it down if you've explained you seem to get better after being out of the office, but it comes back as soon as you back in.
Or maybe someone at the office has it in for you. You do have a tendency at some times to rub some folks the wrong way (hey, I'm your bud, I can tell you that).
There's something in the building that is making you exhibit those symptoms. Contact the HR department at the Geico HQ and tell them you want to know who in the organization is in charge of industrial hygiene. Big companies take this very seriously because they are exposed to all manner of VERY expensive liabilities. Don't just come out and say it, but let them know that you are aware of your rights and would prefer not to get OSHA involved but something has to give. I will guarantee you that raising the spectre of OSHA and the EPA will have the Safety and Welfare folks at Geico jumping like their butts were on fire and their heads were catching.
I concur with everybody else's opinions. If you're reacting when you get to the office, and only (or mostly) then, it's probably an allergic reaction to something there.
I'm not sure how the test is to work, but for a few bucks, you can get your own test kit and give that a try at the office (where nobody will see it) for your own peace of mind before you start getting higher-ups in the company involved.
I did a quick google on "sick building test kit". This was one of the first that showed up...looks like a $20 test kit, though I didn't read at length:
It does 'sound' like an allergic reaction. Another area to consider (besides the building) would be your co-workers. Somebody may be wearing a perfume or an aftershave or even using a brand of soap that you've become hypersensitive. I found out this personally as well as through some people I know that as you get older, your sensitivity changes (I used to own a cat and had no problems, now I'm HIGHLY allergic to them - my throat gets restricted and my eyes will swell to almost closing in about 45 minutes!).
Maybe transferring to the 'personal hygene challenged' area might help. :-)
I haven't been to work in over a week, and Sunday I was OK then Monday I started to get the swelling again, and today I had to go back to the doctors because I was really starting to puff up and my voice is only good for a few minutes until I get the constricted feeling and start coughing... my doctor now thinks it may be post nasal drip, but I gotta tell ya, he is REALLY guessing now... hence the EENT guy tomorrow... so I don't know if it's the office or not... I don't know how long symptoms last once you leave the environment... sheesh.... I don't know anything!
Crazy stuff.... and nobody can seem to figure it out...
> (snip) so I don't know if it's the office or not... I
>don't know how long symptoms last once you leave the
>environment... sheesh.... I don't know anything!
Allergic reactions can be very dicey. By way of anecdote...
After my wife and I first got married and moved into our first apartment, she had severe migraines most days for 2 years. Nobody could figure out what they were, and no migraine medications seemed to help. We event went to England/Ireland for 10 days on a vacation to try and get away (doctor couldn't explain it and decided it must be partially stress-related) and she still had problems with feeling ill. Finally, we moved and bought our first house - wood floors throughout. Her migraines miracuously disappeared a few weeks after we moved. It obviously wasn't scientific, but we believe very strongly that the thick shag 30 year old carpets in the apartment were moldy, dusty, and mildewy, and the headaches were a result of an allergic reaction. Since we moved, she's only had maybe 1 migraine a year, and nowhere near as bad as the hell she suffered for 2 years.