Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Who makes the best Table Saws?

Who makes the best table saw out there for the money? From the research Iíve done I have narrowed it down to two brands Delta & Jet. The reason I ask is because I want to start making furniture as a hobby and before I decide to buy one of these brands I was hoping to get some opinions about table saws.

Thanks in advance.
    The Kid

Nath Saburbin Bahstin, Massachusetts, USA.

RE: Who makes the best Table Saws?

Welcome!

A little more info will be needed . . . what 'class' of saw are you looking at? I'm guessing you've ruled out benchtops since Jet doesn't make one . . . but that would still leave contractor-style models and cabinet models to choose from.

I have a Delta contractor saw (american made model) and am pleased with it . . . but depending on your needs (and budget) it might not be right for you.

Also, be sure and put Grizzly onto your list for comparison.

hey Kid ... do a forum search and you'll find tons of info. ... although, for your particular question, what is your budget? Are you limited to a contractors saw? How hard are ya gonna push it? ... for the money, no more than 300 bones, you can hook up with a Ryobi BT3100. several people on this forum say its da bomb. Lots of other people will tell you, for the money, a Grizzly cabinet saw is tops.

For me in the under a grand [link:www.general.ca/product/inter/50175an.html|contractor] style, it'd be a General Internationl. If I wanted something I could hand down to my kid I'd get the Canadian made General [link:www.general.ca/product/general/350an.html|cabinet] style.

Now, if I had an unlimited budget, I'd get a [link:www.martin-usa.com/products_details.asp?Productid=55&categoryid=1|Mar tin]. If I wanted to feel a part of the whole craftsman thing then I'd drop the cnc featurewith either their [link:www.martin-usa.com/products_details.asp?Productid=53&categoryid=1|cla ssic] or [link:www.martin-usa.com/products_details.asp?Productid=54&categoryid=1|aut omatic] version.

YMMV
    Anthony

The subject of which table saw to buy is frequently debated on this forum, just do a search and you will find plenty of information.

You will find that Delta, Grizzly, General, Jet seem to come up most frequently for contractor saws and cabinet saws.

I have a 10" Delta contractors saw that I bought in the 80s, and it still works great, very solid.

Between cabinet and contractor saws, if you're pretty sure that WW will continue to be a part-time hobby, a good contractor saw would probably fit your bill. A cabinet saw, being more pricey, would fit more for a person who is a very serious hobbyist who spends lots of time on WW or someone who does it for a living.

Wish you well...

tg

"Jesus went out from there... When the Sabbath came, He began to teach... and the many listeners were astonished, saying, ďIs not this the carpenter?" Mark 6

just hope you don't have to return your grizzly cabinet saw or anything else that comes to you truck freight. My experience with grizzly is if you are not ready or willing to pick it up, take it back, and put up one hell of a fight with their customer service in person don't buy from them.

Iím interested in a cabinet saw. Iím looking to spend around $1,500 or so. I want to make sure that I get something that will last me a long time since I plan on working with wood for many years.

My wifeís uncle is a carpenter in Norway and he got me hooked on WW. Iíve done some WW before in school and I enjoyed it allot but watching him make a peace of furniture from scratch was amazing. Heís old school and comes from generation of carpenters. All his tools were from back in the day and he pretty much builds everything with hand tools.

Anyway, thanks for all your replies and I will do a forum search on this topic.

The kid.

Since you have revealed your budget... I would suggest the Jet cabinet saw with the Micro adjust fence and "free" bosch 1617 EVS router with a router lift. Also, Woodworker's Supply (www.woodworking.com) has some exceptional prices on Delta unisaws. You can get Jet or Delta with 3hp, 50" quality fence and a lot of extras for the budget that you are talking about. You will love either one of them...

I have a Delta Unisaw 10" arbor saw and I couldn't be happier. I had a cheaper $300 saw before, and I considered myself a "fair" woodworker at best. Since I upgraded to the Unisaw, I have been astounded at the things that I have been able to create. It is a great saw.

It's difficult to decisively point to one brand and say objectively that one brand is cleary better than the other. North American made saws like PM, General, and Delta have long been considered top dogs in traditional cabinet saws, but imports like Jet, General International, Bridgewood, Shop Fox and Grizzly have brought alot of value into the equation.

A good fence, blade, and proper setup will ultimately dictate how well the saw performs. These saws all have good fences, but you may have a preference for one over the other.

Alot will boil down to your preferences. A good dealer can be a huge consideration. Look at all of them and look for advantages of one machine over the other, or features that appeal to you. Then find the price and circumstances that make the most sense to you.

Let us know what you decide!

Regards,
    Scott