how to clean a bread board

I have some pull out bread boards that are getting a little blotchy with various food stains. Any ideas how to make them look good again? I THINK they might be maple...

cheers
    skip

RE: how to clean a bread board

I'd use my cabinet scraper and take it down a bit. You might not be able to rid it of all of the stains.

You cold also sand them down if you do not have a scraper, and do not want one...........
    Keystone

One of the Original Charter Members. Circa 2000

No longer here. Can now be found at WoW.

Seconds on the scraping & sanding... but before you try THAT, try wiping it down with lime juice first. That might eat some of the stains right out for you. You could even use a dilute solution of baking soda & water for a try... maybe just before the lime juice, so the resulting froth helps to push stuff out to the surface. Stay away from anything you'd not put in your mouth, though.

-- Tim --

Finally, I can contribute an answer! (I'm here for all your kitchen questions.)

Rub with lemon juice (just halve a lemon and go at it) and salt. This will disinfect the board. Rinse with water and let it dry thoroughly.

Then, sand the surface. I'd use a medium grit first to take out any knife wounds, then a fine grit for a smooth finish.

Once it's sanded, remove the dust. Apply several coats of mineral oil. (It's cheaper at a pharmacy than at a hardware store -- look for one that's FDA approved, or approved for intestinal use.) Wipe on, let soak in, apply more. I keep applying the oil until it just won't take anymore. This way, I'm confident that it's saturated through the thickness of the board. If the board is really oily when you're done, you can wipe off the excess with a cloth, or wrap it in tissue paper and newsprint. The excess oil will exude after a day or so.

The oil protects the board when you wash it. I apply it every couple months to my boards.

GOOD answer, MP! :)

Hey, I got to wondering something earlier tonight - I wonder what would happen if a person rubbed down a cutting board with ... with honey? Sounds awful, I know, but - #1 it wouldn't rot or go rancid, #2 it's naturally AWFULLY antibacteriostatic & antifungal (works great for curing Athlete's Foot), #3 it's nasty cheap, and #4 it WOULD dry down to nearly nothing if it's well rubbed in & given a little time. Any residue could be cleaned up easily. Seems like that might make for a very healthy board.

Thoughts?

-- Tim --

I'm too young to feel this way,
    But I'm too old to think this way.

There is also a citrus wood cleaner out there called "Goo Gone" ... you might want to try that for initial prep .. you can pick it up at most any supermarket.

Goo Gone is one of my favorites, but I wouldn't use it on a bread board or cutting board or anything else that was going to touch my food. Just my $.02.