Old Craftsman Jointer - Knife replacement

I have an old Craftsman 4-3/8" adjustable jointer that my dad gave me. It's pretty old (I don't know exactly how old). I don't have any manual for the thing. Anyway, I've checked the Sears website and they no longer archive the service manual for this model.

The thing is dead on, but I don't think the knives have ever been sharpened or replaced (to my knowledge). My dad didn't use it alot and kept very good care of it. I too take good care of it, but I use it alot. It's now getting dull. I think I've found a resource for new blades, but I'm not sure how to replace them and get them adjusted properly.

I've looked at the way they're mounted and it looks like there is play (a gap) underneath the blades. I'm afraid if I loosen the set screws (even to look at the blade jaw assembly more closely) I won't know how to get the blades all aligned back up again.

I've never done this before so I'm kind of in the dark.

Any insight or help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Bob

RE: Old Craftsman Jointer - Knife replacement

If you look closely (without loosening any of the "gib screws" that hold the knives (blades) in place, can you tell if there are "jack screws" underneath the knives to push 'em up into position? If there are, they'll be a godsend.

If you can't tell for sure (because of caked sawdust or not enough light), try probing with a little piece of stiff wire. See if you can feel one screw underneath each end of a knife. They should, if they're there at all, have Allen heads.

If it's got no jack screws, it can still be done... but it's a tad more challenging & frustrating.

I'll bet I'll bet I'll bet it's got 'em. :) Fingers crossed. :)

-- Tim --

Drummer?
    There's a DRUMMER?
    :)

for what I'm thinking is your's.

YMMV
    Anthony

I have a similar older craftsman jointer, and when buying new blades, I couldn't find them to size. I actually had to buy 6 inch blades and cut them down to be the exact dimensions as the previous blades..

Trust me, a hack saw will NOT do the trick..

That's a GREAT website!! You were right on! That's pretty close to the exact one. The only difference is that my fence is tapered down at the end. However, I found a manual for the one I have exactly (I'm pretty sure...I'll verify tonight). It is a 803.23340. Not only did it have an owners manual for what I believe is my jointer, it also had the manual for my DeWalt RAS, exactly! What a prize! (circa 1957) They don't make stuff like this anymore, and it all operates and adjusts PERFECTLY! I wouldn't trade it for the world...and now I don't have to!

I'm sure I'll have some more questions after I read the manuals. In fact, I've got a couple already just scanning through.

In the mean time THANKS so much for steering me to a truly great website that is just loaded with info on the great, quality, old power tools.

Thanks again.

Bob

Brad,

Nice to see someone from WI here. I grew up in Viroqua just south of LaCrosse. My father lives in Eau Claire. He retired from Wal-Mart where he was the assistant store manager.

Randy

Bob, glad to be of service. I'm in the process of bring back to life a 1951 Atlas table saw given to me for free. When I came across the site it just made me smile from ear to ear. After finding a few missing pieces (thaks Sonny for the McMaster tip) and repairing the tilt lead screw bracket, I'll be in business. You're right about the old iron, nothing beats it these days. Party on.

Anthony

Hey, that's cool.. I will be going down to Trempeleau for Catfish Days, and will spend a little time in LaCrosse. Oddly enough, my father-in-laws entire family is from Viroqua.

Either way, it is nice to see fellow woodworkers from this area.

-Brad