Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Cutting a hexagon

Good evening everyone. I hope you all are in a helpfull mood.
    I've been trying to cut 3/4" material into pieces to form a hexagon roof from stock 6 11/16 by 6 11/16 with a 14 degree taper on the edges for fit.
    I cut the six pieces and everyone came out a different size and angle. All I made was firewood. Any and all suggestions are welcome.

RE: Cutting a hexagon

Dave, I'm not really sure what you mean by a 14* taper. Care to explain that a little? Are you trying to make a tube or barrel? Or are you making something flat as a picture frame or such?

Now then, where you using a TS or CMS? All of your pieces should come out the same lenght if you are using a stop. I cut the angles on, in this case all 8 pieces, on one end. Then using a stop, I cut the other ends. This ensures that all of them are the same lenght. If not, you won't line up the angles. Your "square" won't be square.
    Keystone

One of the Original Charter Members. Circa 2000

No longer here. Can now be found at WoW.

I'm cutting the pieces to make a roof for a bird feeder. Plans said to cut the edges to 14* Cutting the pieces to size wasn't a problem it was after trying to cut the 14* angle on the sides is where everything went sour.
    Thanks for your help too.

Dave, can you post a picture or link to what you are trying to build. I'm having a hard time picturing it.

Mark F

Well Mark I don't know how to do that either.
    It's a bird feeder in a hexagon shape with a hexagon roof.
    The roof sections have to be cut with a 14 degree slope on each side so they will fit together. I'm sorry but I do appreciate your trying to help.

Sounds like a compound miter, I think the angle for Hexagons are 60 degrees, but they want the roof to slope 14 degrees so that water runs off. This is a project that needs a compound miter saw.

I'm not going to be much help here, but I can point the people who can help to a picture of a hexagaon bird hose (or gazebo, for that matter).

Go to this link and look at the 3rd and 4th set of plans (or do a google search on hexagon bird house plans

http://www.furnitureplans.com/pi_categories/outdoor

I think the problem here is you have to make a compund miter cut. For example I think that to do a six-sided figure with a 14 degree side angle, your blade angle needs to be set to 6.95 degrees and your miter angle to 29.26 degrees. Maybe someone else could explain this a little better.

--Bob

http://www.furnitureplans.com/produc...7100_small.jpg

Are we talking about a roof like this?
    Keystone

One of the Original Charter Members. Circa 2000

No longer here. Can now be found at WoW.

Yeah--that's what I'mm talking about, but now that I look at it, this one doesn't seem to have a HEXAGON roof (Ooops!) which I'm pretty sure is the problem we're trying to solve. (Got to get my 'cheaters' out and look more closely at the se pics in the future!)

The plans call for the sides of the 6 roof pieces be cut at 14 1/2 degrees so that they will come together properly.The photo you have is what I'm trying to make.