Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Craftsman shaper, model 113.23940

Good morning! I came across a BRAND NEW, never assembled, still in original box (opened) Craftsman shaper, model # above. The only thing not included seems to be the shaper bits. I have the original owner's manual, a 1/2 hp Craftsman motor from the same era, also unused, etc. I'll post up pics soon, but I'm wondering what it is worth. It's really cool-the box says "another quality Craftsman tool" on the outside.

Might let it go to someone on this site, if the price is right.

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Not worth as much as you might think. It's a small shaper that is easily outperformed by most table routers. If your intent in joining this forum is to sell the shaper, you might be better off advertising on your local Craigslist.

Quote Originally Posted by Distintive_Design_TX View Post
    Good morning! I came across a BRAND NEW, never assembled, still in original box (opened) Craftsman shaper, model # above. The only thing not included seems to be the shaper bits. I have the original owner's manual, a 1/2 hp Craftsman motor from the same era, also unused, etc. I'll post up pics soon, but I'm wondering what it is worth. It's really cool-the box says "another quality Craftsman tool" on the outside.

Might let it go to someone on this site, if the price is right.
    Here is a breakdown of that Craftsman Shaper:
    http://www.owwm.com/photoindex/detail.aspx?id=5488

My GUESS - based on selling some old machines myself from time to time is that you could get - realistically maybe $25-$40 for it. I don't believe you will get anywhere near $100 for it, or even $75

If you could get $50 -- count your blessings.

It was made in 1966, and is well underpowered.

Craftsman never really was a "quality" tool anyway. OK to the homeowner, but not the serious woodworker.

My Router table at 3-1/4 hp will run circles around that.

It is certainly NOT worth shipping anywhere. Anything short of someone picking it up at your house will not be worthwhile.

Try Craigslist - try starting at $100 - and be very willing to take an offer. At $100 I will be surprised if you even get a call.

Good luck,

I just purchased a 113.23940 complete with some bits, rub rings, and spacers for $80. It was also in great shape and came with cutters, rub rings, and spacers.

I don't know anything about the machine, but I'm sure just the cutters alone are well worth the $80, not to mention the "great shape" and everything else.

I'd say you did good.
    Dave, from Indiana

I am a great believer in luck. The harder I work, the more of it I seem to have.

That shaper will surprise you on how well it will do.
    Don't let the horsepower rating fool you, it's not
    the same comparing to a router. that's like
    apples to oranges.
    Just look at the motor compared to a router and
    notice it's 3 times the size.
    I had a shaper like that before getting a bigger one.
    It did a really good job, gave better cuts than my router
    and was much more comfortable to use with its controls
    and slower more pleasant speed.
    Shapers still have advantages over a router,
    you can really benifit from having both.
    If you have both, like I do, you'll use both for
    different advantages.
    Last edited by JCCLARK; 12-15-2010 at 11:48 AM.

The old Craftsman Shaper is an interesting tool more from a nostalgia point of view than for a woodworking tool. The size of the motor reflects the advances made in electronics a 1/2 horse in 1966 is still 1/2 horse today regardless of the size of the motor. Older 1/2 horse motors are even larger but they are still 1/2 horse. This little tool is easily out performed by almost any router, even older ones with 1/4" bit routers ... but so what, it's a cool tool from days gone by. I wish I had one.

Quote Originally Posted by collett View Post
    This little tool is easily out performed by almost any router, even older ones with 1/4" bit routers ...
    That is totally untrue.
    Induction motors require less amps per HP.
    No universal motor (router) can compete with an induction motor of a similar or even close HP.
    Big difference!!!!
    That's why even a 3 HP router needs multiple passes
    for a full size panel shaper bit, but a 2 HP shaper
    can do it easier in only 1 pass.
    I've owned both and there's a big difference.

Read this to understand the differences.
    http://ezinearticles.com/?Understand...ools&id=640680
    Last edited by JCCLARK; 12-17-2010 at 08:02 AM.

I had one for a number of years. It was given to me by a friend who had it in a small cabinet shop and it wasn't being used because it had a bent spindle in it.

The weak link is the spindle. It is easily damaged and the stock bearings are marginal as well. I had to replace the spindle twice and the bearings.

1/2 hp is definitely underpowered and with the margnal spindle, my advice is to not spend too much on the tool in any attempted upgrades. Use it as in for very light work or sell it. The bits will cost you a fortune since it doesn't have a router bit conversion spindle for it. You would be better off spending any money on a strong router, bits and a table.

I used mine from time to time but it was never very reliable nor accurate. I eventually sold it with the high speed steel bits that I had for it. I ended up with a 3 hp shaper and some strong router setups that work well for me.

Lightbulb craftsman shaper, model ?

Hello all,

I have some (what i believe is craftsman shaper blades) im wondering if some one could put them to use.?

numbers are d9 m3o565 -(5/16 quarter round cove) ........... to be used with moulding heads 30603

d9 m30562 - (base moulding)................ to be used with moulding heads 30603

please contact me if you have any knowledge about this or if any one would be able to use them.

thanks del