I have a new deck, why is some of the wood turning white?

We had a deck built onto our house just this week and after completion, it rained a couple of days. Now some of the planks have what appears to be a white substance on them. Do you think this could be a type of mold and if not, is it eventually something that will cease to happen as the wood cures? Thanks.

Depending on type of wood, it could be some sort of oxidation due to the rain. You might consider a "sealer or water sealer product" after curing providing you don't want to paint. I don't know your location, but if you're in a humid climate, you need to seal or paint anyway. Hopefully the type of wood used was treated to repell termites and other wood destroying pests, and retard deteriation. I hope this helps. More info is need to make a more acurate assesment of your sitiation.
    Last edited by herbie47; 08-25-2011 at 05:21 AM.

I had to say hi, I love the "turn" of logic to the term."wood turning". Had to chuckle at the cleverness of that. You may have to re-sand those areas clean again unfortunately. make sure you research and use a really high quality sealer. It's really worth it. after two days, repeat, insurance.... you know?

stratman