Thread: Rusty Saw

Rusty Saw

About five years ago I bought a nice tree trimming saw, the type with a long extendable handle to reach high branches. It cost about $40 but it worked real well. Then about a month ago my brother asked to borrow it. Today he finally brought it back but the blade is badly rusted. Apparently he left it outside in the rain for a whole month! I am so angry with him. Is there any way to clean it up? Is it even worth saving?
    Visit Jeffery's Junction for Art Pottery, Vintage Glass, and LP Records:
    www.jefferysjunction.ecrater.com

Re: Rusty Saw

Whether it is worth it or not, just depends on what is more valuable to you - a few hours of your time or $40 to buy another one. I often find old Disston hand saws that are in utterly contemptible condition and with a few hours of elbow grease and some basic products that you can find at the local hardware store, can have them looking almost new.

If you want to rehab the entire saw, let me know, but if it is just the blade I would remove the blade (usually just 3-4 screws on the handle) and sand it with 220 grit and mineral spirits for lubrication. This is a good way to remove the rust and get the blade looking shiny again without having to mess with chemical rust removers, etc.

Good luck!!

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    Whether it is worth it or not, just depends on what is more valuable to you - a few hours of your time or $40 to buy another one. I often find old Disston hand saws that are in utterly contemptible condition and with a few hours of elbow grease and some basic products that you can find at the local hardware store, can have them looking almost new.

If you want to rehab the entire saw, let me know, but if it is just the blade I would remove the blade (usually just 3-4 screws on the handle) and sand it with 220 grit and mineral spirits for lubrication. This is a good way to remove the rust and get the blade looking shiny again without having to mess with chemical rust removers, etc.

Good luck!!
    Thanks you for the post.

Oh, thank you Evan, I have the same problem.

Some solid sanding plus lubrication should bring the blade back like new. It happened a few months ago to the saw I loved after my boy left it rusting in the backyard and the procedure really worked
    "I don't like things that can be reproduced. Wood isn't important in itself but rather in the fact that objects made in it are unique, simple, unpretentious" / Georg Baselitz

Just wire wheel it, oil it up. no big thing.

You can use rust removers like Evaporust or even electrolysis to clean up the saw plate. If the saw plate is straight and the teeth need a little tuning up, it will be worth it. Like many things, they don't make them like they used to.

You can use fine-grit sandpaper,rub in a circular motion until you remove the rust.You will want to rub it gently so you do not scratch the metal.This step may take sometime.After rubbing the remaining rust,wipe off the sandpaper dust with paper towel.Using paper towel again, rub paste wax to it every six months to keep it clean and shiny.