Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

jointer/planer under $300?

Hi

I am looking to buy a small 6" or 8" jointer/planer under $300 for my workshop
    Do you know anything that could fit in this price range?

I saw on internet a jointer/planer sold in Europe under different names/brands but that seems to be the same machine:
    Woodstar PT85, Scheppach PT85, Kity PT8500 also sold by Fox.
    here is what it looks like:

060611085.jpg

but the problem is that is has a 220v motor, not a 110v...
    Do you know where I can find such a machine in the US with a US motor?

Thanks!
    Damien

Nobody knows this small jointer/planer or what I can buy for under $300?

Can't think of a new jointer or planer for less than $300 that I would even think of recommending to someone.
    Keystone

One of the Original Charter Members. Circa 2000

No longer here. Can now be found at WoW.

http://www.grizzly.com/products/6-x-...-Jointer/G0725
    i'm in the market too. any thoughts on this one? Grizzly is good stuff from what i hear

Save your money.
    Keystone

I agree with keystone, save your money and get a good one. If there is a jointer under $300, and you buy it, chances are you will be buying another one shortly after because I can't see it holding up.
    Finally a free place to list your wood products!Visit us.

www.generationwoodworks.com

Is this Grizzly jointer that bad? Especially for me, an amateur and young guy. I just dont have the budget for a $700+ jointer as much as i want one lol

Nothing at all to do with Grizzly. The small bench top joiners do not perform well at all. Hence the reason you will not get one person telling you to buy one.
    I would tell you that this one from Grizz is OK though. You could also start watching Graigslist for a used 6". I sold my Ridgid for $250, so I know for certain that there are deals to be had, you just have to wait.

But, in the end, it's your money. You want to spend $300 on that benchtop go for it.
    Keystone

thanks for the help, what is the minimum you guys would pay for a brand new 6"? Also, not to sound like a pest but in research i have to know what it is about these that making so much more inferior? Is it the small size, allowing vibration giving way to a more uneven cut. I'll be using it to level the scarf joint on my guitar necks. (mahogany, maple, walnut)
    Last edited by Sirgreggins; 03-21-2012 at 10:21 PM.

I have that one from grizzly, and it works great for a hobby woodworking shop.

I resaw 2x4's, for my lumber to make projects, and I edge joint, and face plane each piece, to get a smooth surface, and the machine seems to have plenty of power and accuracy, to do these small jobs.