Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Issues with Table Saw Binding on Angled Cut

Hello. I was planning to hang a cabinet via a french cleat (first time I am trying this). Cleat is being made from 3/4" birch plywood, about 3'L x 4"W. While trying to put a 45 degree cut through it, my table saw binds up (and circuit breaker trips) for some reason. The blade being used is a combination blade (Woodworker I from Forrester) in good shape, and the table saw is powered by a 1.5 amp motor. I have no issues sawing through the exact same wood at 90 degrees, so I assume my saw blade is sharp enough and motor is powerful enough? But I also realize the cross section of the cut is somewhat wider at a 45 degree angle so...?

I am using the table fence to guide the cut. And I do not have a throat insert for 45 degree cutting so I am working without an insert in place. Is there anything from a technique perspective I should be aware of?

If there is any other relevant information I can provide with respect to this issue, please let me know. Thanks...

No insert, so does that mean no splitter also? Is the stock binding and stopping the blade?
    Keystone

One of the Original Charter Members. Circa 2000

No longer here. Can now be found at WoW.

Correct, no splitter in place, but in this situation the piece has not cleared the blade. Blade stopped when cut was about 8" deep (long); the blade is 10".

In checking this for you just now, I noted that blade was not fully raised. I often raise the blade only as far as needed to make a cut, rather than always raising it fully - I realize there are two schools of thought on this. I'll take another shot at this with blade in fully raised/extended position, although any other thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

Belt drive saw? Could be that the belt is binding and causing the motor to overheat.
    Keystone

One of the Original Charter Members. Circa 2000

No longer here. Can now be found at WoW.

Yes, belt drive. I don;t think this is issue (I feel I would have heard a difference in the sound as saw was running), but it is a good thought...I'll double check when i try again.

Two things come to mind:
    1) The blade is tilted TOWARD the fence (bad idea if that's the case),
    2) The alignment between the tilted blade and the fence is not parallel (never heard of this problem but it's a quick check).

--- Rion

Port Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada.
    Perhaps try it with a fence feather board, if the board tends to rise a bit the part between the blade and fence is cut a bit wider, then if board is held down to table it will bind the saw.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10645&sid=AF078
    Frank C

Sawdust Making 101
    http://sawdustmaking.com

I would check how parallel your fence is to the blade. What might be happening is that the fence is good at the start of the blade, but as the wood moves through it, the fence may be pushing the wood into the blade causing it to bind.
    Finally a free place to list your wood products!Visit us.

www.generationwoodworks.com

Port Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada.
    I agree with SawSucker on the insert issue, there are many sites that explain how to make your own zero clearance inserts, everybody should have a few blank spares on hand that can be popped in for special cuts.
    Frank C

Sawdust Making 101
    http://sawdustmaking.com

Based on advice here I whipped out my dial indicator and double checked blade & fence alignment - they do need some adjusting. I usually keep them to within a few thousandths of an inch, but something seems to have thrown the blade out of whack. In fact it may have been simply that I cranked the saw angle to 45 degrees (as noted above this is first time I am needing to make a cut like this), since I noticed that motor housing was in contact with outfeed table/bench at that point. More than likely this is root cause of issue. I'll re-align today and see how things go.

Not sure why anyone would think there is a problem with a motor that trips a circuit breaker when it is binding up - that's what's supposed to happen. Better than burning out a motor or having a board tossed back at you...right?

Saw blade does tilt toward the fence, contributing to the issue. I agree with RionM that this is not a great design but I'm not sure what I can really do about it at this point :-( Why do manufacturers (Delta in this case) do this, anyway?
    Last edited by AA040371; 03-03-2012 at 12:48 PM.