Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Best or Best bang?

Hello all! Im in the market for a table saw, upgrading from a ryobi 10". My budget is 1-2k Im not to familiar with the recent advancments table saws have made. I want something solid and precise with more features. I was considering something from Grizzly but didnt know if I should go with another brand? Ill be using it for furniture and build outs, exotic woods to MDF. Thanks for the help!

I think the general rule of thumb for buying any tool is to buy the best tool that you can afford. Personally, with your budget in mind, I would look to find a good used cabinet saw with 3 HP motor. For that amount of money, if you are patient, you should be albe to comfortably afford a nice used cabinet saw that new would cost much more. The power advantage is what you want. You also want to consider the fence. You either want to have a good quality fence on the saw, or have enough money left over to purchase a good fence. I'm partial to the t-style/Biesemeyer fences, but there are others that are also very good. If you are determined to purchase new, Grizzly has a good reputation. Personally, I'm partial to PowerMatic (only wish I could afford to own one), but you would have a difficult time finding one of these new in your budget range.

Doc

I start looking with Grizzly myself. Best bang for the buck with out a doubt.
    Keystone

One of the Original Charter Members. Circa 2000

No longer here. Can now be found at WoW.

I'm not real excited about Grizzly. I would try to save a little more $ and buy a Saw Stop cabinet model. It has the best dust collection in the industry and the built in safety features make it a very attractive saw. These saws are a bargain when compared to the cost of restorative surgery for a couple of fingers for a couple of fingers that were inadvertently shortened. Also has a great splitter.

Dice,

Once upon a time I would have suggested Delta or Powermatic. I own a Unisaw. If I was looking to buy one today it would be the Grizz GO0690. I say that without hesitation. It is the best bang for the buck in Cabinet saws. At $1475 to your house/shop it's not hard on the wallet either.
    Keystone

I agree, Grizzly would be my choice!
    Finally a free place to list your wood products!Visit us.

www.generationwoodworks.com

The Griz G1023RL and G0690 offer a heck of a good bang for the buck....both enjoy an excellent track record. The G1023RL has a ribbed poly belt, dust shroud, and a riving, and is ~ $1349 delivered....for $1400 you can get the G1023RLW with built in cast iron router table and leg set. A good used saw is always an option of the right deal comes along. The biggest advantage of going with another brand would be dealer support....you have to be your own middle man with Grizzly, but there's where the bulk of the money savings are. Quality-wise, the Griz cabinet saws are right up their with Jet, GI, Steel City, and Laguna. Note that these 3hp saws require 220v to operate.

Last edited by scottspencer; 03-29-2012 at 12:03 AM.

I've said it several times in the past two years. The 690 would be my choice (I don't have room for the 691). ALL of them are good choices. I have never had the need for a 5hp motor. I have two newer Grizz tools. Their customer Service is second to no one. Their tools are a great bargain and hold up as well as other brands.
    Keystone

Does it ever stop ?

Cabinet saw and SawStop sales pitches, it gets really old. I've been a woodworker for about 30 years. In 1995 I bought a new American made Delta Contractor's table saw with a 30" Unifence, and full size mobile base, I've never needed anything else, and have no plans of ever selling it. A well tuned and correctly wired Contractor's table saw with a good fence would be a huge improvement over a light duty and light weight Ryobi scream machine table saw. Whenever I buy equipment nowdays I like to stay with American made as much as possible. If I can't afford new American made, I buy used American made, I think that they are a better machine and investment then a cheaply made import. Plus as an American I'm tired of imported crap. Spend your money wisely, there are alot of other types of machines to buy for a woodshop, dust collection, disc sander, mortising machine, drill press, router table, miter saw, dovetail jig, hand power tools, hand tools, clamps, and on, and on, and on. If you absolutely think that you have to have a Cabinet saw to impress everyone and keep up with the Joneses, don't forget about the extra expense of haveing 240 V added to your shop. Keystone, I have a really hard time believing that anyone that has an American made Delta Unisaw would recommend a Grizzly, and three times in one thread too !. Scott is a well known Grizzly pusher, I expect it from him, now it looks like you are too. Makes me wonder if your both on Grizzly's payroll.
    Last edited by SawSucker; 04-26-2012 at 08:56 PM.