Question Best $1000 Table Saw

I am going to upgrade from a benchtop table saw to a floor model, most likely in the contractor saw model range. What are folks thoughts on the best saw for around 1k. I have been looking at the Powermatic 64a and the Jet Hybrid saw. Any other I should have in the mix?

If you have 220v available, I'd give serious consideration to spending a bit more and getting a 3hp cabinet saw like a Grizzly G1023RL for $1250 ($1349 shipped). There's a substantial jump in robustness and overal build quality when you jump from a contractor saw or hybrid to an industrial cabinet saw.

g1023rl.jpg
    The PM64a is a nice Taiwanese contractor saw, but it's technology is pretty dated relative to newer designs, which makes it a tough sell for anywhere near $1000 IMO. It still has the disadvantages of an outboard motor, connecting rods as an arbor carriage, and no riving knife. It's very similar to GI 50-185M1, former Jet contractor saw, former Grizzly G0576, Bridgewood, etc.

The Jet Proshop hybrid is a nice saw. It was just recently updated with a riving knife, but I doubt you can the updated version within budget. If you can deal with a standard splitter instead of a riving knife, you should be able for find the earlier Jet Proshop 708480 or possibly the 708482 within budget.

The Grizzly G0661 or G0713 are options too if you don't have 220v available, or don't want to spend more to get into a G1023RL. They also have a G0715P hybrid with a full enclosure, but they've had several reports of alignment issues with that saw that I'd want to be sure were fully resolved before buying.

Good luck and please keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by scottspencer View Post
    If you have 220v available, I'd give serious consideration to spending a bit more and getting a 3hp cabinet saw like a Grizzly G1023RL for $1250 ($1349 shipped). There's a substantial jump in robustness and overal build quality when you jump from a contractor saw or hybrid to an industrial cabinet saw.

g1023rl.jpg
    The PM64a is a nice Taiwanese contractor saw, but it's technology is pretty dated relative to newer designs, which makes it a tough sell for anywhere near $1000 IMO. It still has the disadvantages of an outboard motor, connecting rods as an arbor carriage, and no riving knife. It's very similar to GI 50-185M1, former Jet contractor saw, former Grizzly G0576, Bridgewood, etc.

The Jet Proshop hybrid is a nice saw. It was just recently updated with a riving knife, but I doubt you can the updated version within budget. If you can deal with a standard splitter instead of a riving knife, you should be able for find the earlier Jet Proshop 708480 or possibly the 708482 within budget.

The Grizzly G0661 or G0713 are options too if you don't have 220v available, or don't want to spend more to get into a G1023RL. They also have a G0715P hybrid with a full enclosure, but they've had several reports of alignment issues with that saw that I'd want to be sure were fully resolved before buying.

Good luck and please keep us posted.
    First of all, Scott is baseing his opinion of Contractor's table saws on the experience that he had many years ago with a Craftsman Contractor's table saw. Then he refers the Powermatic PM64a as a Taiwanese contractor's table saw, but fails to mention that the others that he is talking about are also imports. Also he is recommending a Industrial Cabinet saw to you without asking you what your needs are for a table saw, and how much you will be useing it. It's just another Industrial Cabinet table saw sales pitch that isn't based on what you need, it's based on selling. I've been a woodworker for about 30 years, in 1995 I bought a new American made Delta 34-444 Contractor's table saw with a Unifence, it's been a great saw, and I have no plans of geting rid of it anytime soon. Now if the two saws that you mentioned were my only two choices, I would buy the Powermatic, I've never liked the looks of the JET, it looks cheap.

I really have no issue with you disagreeing with my opinions, but if you're going to be rude toward me, at least state facts...making stuff up doesn't count as fact.

Your antics get old fast, serve no purpose, and the entire forum pays the price for it. Since you're old enough to have been wwing for 30 years, you're old enough to grow up. How many times have you been reprimanded or booted from a forum for bad behavior so far?
    Last edited by scottspencer; 04-19-2012 at 06:35 PM. Reason: decided to use restraint

Quote Originally Posted by scottspencer View Post
    I really have no issue with you disagreeing with my opinions, but if you're going to be rude toward me, at least state facts...making stuff up doesn't count as fact.

Your antics get old fast, serve no purpose, and the entire forum pays the price for it. Since you're old enough to have been wwing for 30 years, you're old enough to grow up. How many times have you been reprimanded or booted from a forum for bad behavior so far?
    What did I make up ? Me growup ? Thats funny, I'm not the one liveing in the make believe sugar coated woodworking world that the tool pushers such as yourself would like everyone to believe.
    Last edited by SawSucker; 04-20-2012 at 12:53 AM.

Without knowing your needs, I'll add a comment or two. If a contractor style saw is what you need, check into used equipment. You can find very servicable saws from many different makers for 1/4 to 1/2 of your price point. If something like a cabinet saw better matches your needs, again you can pick one up from many different makers for 1/2 to equal your price point. Long as there isn't physical damage about the only 2 things that may go bad on them is either the bearings or motor. Given a little time and tallent/tools, both can be taken care of if you get something for the right price.

Biggest thing with buying used is not to be in a rush. If you have the time to wait, something usually will come along. Watch places like CL, for sale ads on the various forums and you'll likely find the right candidate for you.

Just some thoughts.

T/S

I have the Grizzly 1023RLX and have no regrets. I would look closely into used equipment in your area first. Cabinet saws are pretty durable and serviceable, so don't turn down a good deal on used equipment if you can find it. I went from a Ryobi BT3000 to the 1023 so I can't offer much of an opinion on the contractor style saws.

You guys and your Industrial Cabinet table saw sales pitches make me laugh, it never ends.