Our client's family (two adults and three children) wanted a room in which all their different activities could take place. Their TV and stereo components, video games, the computer(s), the home's business area, library shelving and additional storage (for all those small things that would clutter every surface if not put away)... were all incorporated into the plans for these built in cabinets... Our plan was to create a room that had a place for everything and look great at the same time.
Although they wanted built-ins that were richly appointed, they expressed their wish to maintain the appearance of 'hand wrought' craftsmanship. I knew they didn't want 'rustic', but perfectly straight-grained, 'select' boards and veneers wouldn't portray enough character for their tastes.
So... we decided use cherry but made sure to include some great looking imperfections, so you might get a sense of the actual trees from which this furniture was made.

Hi-resolution shots are worth seeing enlarged / just click on them...
IMG_0840.jpg
IMG_0856.jpg
I'm including my renderings so you can appreciate how our plans became realized.
double comp Baum.jpg
IMG_0847.jpg
sande's file 2.jpg
IMG_0838.jpg
Although labor intensive, rich details make a world of difference.
IMG_0861B.jpg
IMG_0861A.jpg
TV unit Baum_edited-1.jpg
We've done many built-ins that are difficult to get a good picture of...
...and there are some that just seem made for it (though we removed some furniture so you could see the cabinetry).
rustic cherry.jpg
(This last shot deserves to be clicked on and seen full screen/4,000 pixs wide)

With good design, craftsmanship and a great client... you can't go wrong.

Our web site has quite a number of projects on the web site's photo gallery. Videos as well.

Russell Hudson / Hudson Cabinetmaking, Inc.