Had an interesting day: Started in Lombard touching up a kitchen I made after the floor was reinstalled for a SIXTH time!!! Went back to my shop to start on some things while my ex-mechanic assistant worked on my van a bit. He got done, then did not call me to say he was going to go back to the parts store to have them check the codes...

I looked for him and called him and he said he was on his way back,... so I waited...and waited...and waited. After MANY unreturned calls, I had called the cops, but when they were there, he called as he turned the corner...

Turns out he was racially profiled by a cop, since he is an American of Puerto Rican descent, driving am older van with temp plates until I get my valid ones. Cop asked for the insurance card, but my assistant nervously forgot it was right in the new visor organizer above his head. Cop then made him spread eagle on the van's hood, while the cop checked the doors. When the side cargo door opened, the cop immediately jumped in my van looking for stolen items after he saw my tools and stuff for another client inside...

This gets better...

After TWO AND A HALF HOURS of being on the hood, the cop finally found my insurance card in my visor. But to add insult to injury, the cop patted down my assistant, removed his wallet and went away from him to supposedly check his ID. All that happened next was the cop proceeded to help himself to $80.00 cash in my assistant's wallet!!!

And now do you wonder why many contractors FEAR cops? Most carry large sums of cash sometimes to buy supplies. Imagine trying to explain to a client precisely why supplies cannot be bought because they were shaken down. It is DISGUSTING how the cops at Grand & Central basically smirked at us when we tried to report this. My assistant was so shaken by the day's events he forgot to get the cop's star number and car number, so this was all for naught, except for the lesson it taught us both...