I'm a beginner woodworker. Do you have any ideas how I should get into the hobby?

I've started many hobbies by trying to learn them on my own. I don't think woodworking is a good hobby to learn on your own. I would recommend taking a beginner class on woodworking. Local woodworking stores, high schools and technical colleges often have classes geared towards the beginning woodworker.

Power tools are can be very dangerous. However, with proper instruction they are safer to use. I would not let anyone I know use a table saw or jointer without first at least watching it in person. Books, magazines and the Internet are all great places for gathering information. However, reading about using tools and actually using tools are two totally different things.

I took a beginning woodworking class years ago. While the class itself wasn't great, it allowed me to try all the tools under the supervision of an instructor without actually spending a penny on tools. Had I not taken that class I would have spent too much money on cheap tools and then just replaced them with adequate tools later on. Knowing what tools to get can only come from experience. The perfect tool for one person isn't necessarily perfect for the next.

plummer

I would look to see if there is a Woodworkers Guild in your area or at least a woodwork related retail store that offers classes. In my area, there is a woodworkers guild that has a shop and you can attend meetings and then work in the shop with supervision from experienced woodworkers. Also, there is a Woodcraft store nearby that offers classes for beginners. Still, there is not substitute for getting some wood and a few tools and getting to work. You can get an allotment of hand tools relatively inexpensively and start to build something. Find something of interest and try your hand at it.

Doc

Hi, I'm new to woodworking too.

Fist up, you need to build a firm and steady foundation. Before you can successfully finish any complicated woodworking project, you will need to understand the basics. Research the vocabulary, the types of wood, and the tools needed. And you have to plan well in advance too.

Good Luck!
    modern bar stools

I would advise getting a few good books with good instruction and then build some projects with hand tools. A foundation in hand tool use will always be incredibly valuable even if and when you use machines to speed up the process. When I was training as a cabinetmaker we relied on local flea markets to get some good tools for bargains...might still be possible. Learn their use and how wood reacts to them. Books are not the only source as the internet has many instructional sites (youtube has video for everything in the world.) Of course, as others have said, classes can be extremely valuable.
    John

Did you ever think that maybe the crumb just wanted to steal our wirecutters?

Start by using whatever tools you have to build a box with 4 sides, a top and a bottom that fit. Then build another one. Then another. And another.
    From there you'll see what you need to improve and can research and learn.

Good Luck and keep your stick on the ice, we're pullin' for ya!

I was only a starter, I didn't keep up with woodworking but I want to get back into it. The way I got into it was by taking some classes and started on a scroll saw.
    Playing the brain game.

I find this post interesting and informative. Your discussion on tools is an eye-opener for me. I may have found all the theories I needed to know about power tools and machines, but you are so correct in saying that reading and actually using the tools are two very different things. I will have to consider taking classes now. Thank you.

There are things to consider before you start getting to woodworking. Think of what type of woodwork you are going to do. You can choose to do some pen turning, band saw boxes, tables, chairs, cabinets , and etc. It all depends on how you imagine things to happen, and how you make it happen. After deciding the project you are going to work, learn what tool you should use. Do not be afraid of using power tools. You will get used to them around you everyday. They are not made to hurt people, instead, they are made to help improve our work. But before taking the course in to action, you should also consider your financial capacity to buy those tools and the materials and overhead expenses. Experience will teach you how to become a good woodworker.