Thread: Warped 4x4

Warped 4x4

I built a playground for my children this past spring. One of the 4x4 support posts has warped pretty severely and I want to know how I can fix it. The tower in questions has 4 4x4 PT legs that sit 32" in the ground in concrete and extend about 7 feet out of the ground. At 4 foot above the ground is the floor of the tower (which is 4' by 4')where all four 4x4's are boxed in by 2x8's. About 32" above the floor I ran 2x4's to connect the tops of the 4x4 and make a railing. (I realize this makes the legs 6'8" not 7') Anyway, the railing only runs around three of the posts because there is a suspenspion bridge which connects this tower to tower 3. The 1 post that is not connected to the railing system has warped severely. The warp starts at the floor and brings the top of the post about 3" our of plumb. Structurally, everything is fine. It just looks like --- well it just looks bad. The bottom 4' of the post is plumb and true. I cannot remove this post in any way shape or form. I have to be able to bend it back and have it hold. Any suggestions?
    Thank you for your help.

RE: Warped 4x4

Ew...I'm thinking you might be SOL. :( Sorry...perhaps somebody else will have a suggestion.

I see that Cody has a good idea.

Or if you don't like that;

It's pretty hard to realize what you mean, can you take a photo of the offending board?

Howard

It doesn't provide a solution, but my own projects involving PT 4x4s outside have almost invariably bowed toward the East. Is that the direction this one is going?

If so, there may be something going on with the sun drying out one side faster than the other.

If that's so, it might require the post be preconditioned in some way. (?)

regards,

Don

I have one on the corner of the porch that bows north everytime it rains, and straightens back up after it dries out

I'd cut the warped post off just below where the warping started and half-lap a new post top onto it. Poly or epoxy glue and screws ought to make it as strong as a single piece.

PT lumber is usually dripping wet when purchased and I'm not surprised a long unsupported length warped badly.

Cody

For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world,
    and lose his own soul?