chuckd (Guest)

dark stains for knotty pine

I am attempting my first refinishing project on a set of very well built knotty pine cabinets but am having problems finding the right color of stain. It seems no matter what stain I use I can not get a dark finish like was originally on the cabinets. I have new butcher block counter tops and wood like darker cabinets to offset the lite counters. The original stain looked like cherry with a poly finish. I would like to go with something like early american minwax oil based stain (which is dark on the pine samples in the store) and get away from the redish finish. I have tried minwax oil and gel stains of various colors and applied atleast two coats but it seems like the majority of the stain just wipes off. More than two coats does not seem to do much for darking the color. I've also been using the wood conditioner to help even out the stain.

Also, the wood I have been staining is new pine, can I expect the old wood on the cabinets to stain a different color because of age. Any suggestions on staining would be helpful.

RE: dark stains for knotty pine

It is very difficult to buy stain off the shelf and get the color you want. There are many different ways to combine colors,use tint,or what have you,to get what you want. I suggest you buy a good finishing book,that has an in depth section on your subject. There are just too many possibilities to list in a thread like this. With Pine,you are better off with gel stain.
    There should be no difference in the same colors in gel stain and regular oil stain. One way to get a dark shade,even though you say you don't like the cherry. You can start off with the cherry,to get the dark base. You then can tone the red out with other colors,but still retain the dark.

Brown shoe polish was often used to get a very dark color. It was cheap and readily available. Try it on a spot or a piece of scrap. With BLO (Boiled Linseed Oil) and wax finishes it works well. If you need darker still add a little black polish to the mix.

M

You might try Deft. It is a very forgiving finish, and it turns a rich golden shade when it ages on knotty pine.

Steven Wilson (Guest)

You'll have problems getting an even stain on pine (the blotchies). You should consider using an analine dye and applying with a spray gun and/or use a #1 cut of dewaxed shellac to partially seal the pine and then apply your chosen stain (prefer analine dye - not pigmented). A very nice base finish for pine is to use a dewaxed garnet shellac. You can finish the piece totally with shellac or apply a few coats of #2 cut dewaxed garnet shellac for the color and then apply your prefered top coat (poly, lacquer, blonde shellac, etc). You can also tint the shellac with an alcohol based analine dye (i.e. transtint) if you want darker. As always, try your complete finishing schedule on scrap first. For more shellac info see www.shellac.net

Steve

help@plansinwood.com (Guest)

I agree with Steven....I have used Lee Valley's Antique Cherry aniline dye, with a little red cherry to get the colour I wanted. You can mix whatever colours you want, as well as touch up lighter areas with a darker mixture....no smell either!

Phil

They came out with the gel stains to overcome the blotching,in Pine and simular woods. Its easiest to apply,with a rag. Put it on heavy,let it sit for 15-20 minutes and then wipe it clean. There is nothing simpler.

Steven Wilson (Guest)

There is one problem with gel stains - they don't stop the blotchies all of the time. They are better at controlling penetration than normal pigmented stains but they are not a cure. So why bother !!! If you partially seal the wood (glue size, shellac), or flood with a solvent (water, mineral spirits, etc), or spray shader coats, you can control the blotchies 100% of the time. Regardless of the method you use, try your entire sanding/finishing/rubout schedule, on offcuts from your project, prior to applying the finish. Then you will know what method will work with the wood you are using.

Steve