Need some knowledge on dust collection!!!

I've just gotten into woodworking. I'm definately a novice, but a quick learner. I bought a little 1hp dust collector that is rated for 914cfm. Here's how it's set up: out of dust coll. with reducer from 4" to 2"(in my shop attic)...90 degree down thru ceiling to a Dust Deputy(cyclone)...Dust deputy is mounted to 20gal. trash can(everything is sealed)...come off of the dust deputy and branch out to 3 workstations. My problem is...my shop vac has more suction than want I'm getting.

Any help would be much appreciated!!!!!

Thanks for your time,
    Mike

First, a 1hp collector is really just a "one-machine-at-a-time" unit.

Second, lose the reducer and keep the line as large as possible between the collector and the machine. Reduce-- if you have to-- as close to the machine as you can (bigger duct=more air volume=better collection)

Third, keep the duct runs as short as possible and the turns, Y's, etc. as few as possible. (Tight turns = more friction = less air flow).

Mike,

Sounds somewhat ok - BUT - use the 4" hose. Larger would be better - but not too large. I think 6" would be too large.

YES - you will have more suction from your shop vac - no matter what size hose.

Dust collection does not work on static pressure, like a shop vac. It works on volume of airflow. The shopvac actually has very low airflow.

Thanks Jerry M. and Woody!! Big time help. I'll make adjustments and let you know!!

I think you should also get the collector out of the attic and closer to the cyclone. That hose length plus the lift will kill your cfm and fpm (see Jerry M's comment on duct length).