Thread: New Table Saw

New Table Saw

Hello, everyone!

I just joined the forum.

I have been doing woodworking (hobby) since I was a kid (many years ago).

Currently I have a Sears flex-drive table saw that I bought new in the 80's. It has a cast iron table and wings. The fence has always been pretty poor, but I have sort of lived with it (constantly checking the measurements at the front and rear of blade).

I am going to make new kitchen cabinets for our house and will be doing a lot of cutting of Melamine PB. I don't want to waste the time to check the rip fence every time I set it. Therefore I want to buy a new table saw with a better rip fence. The flex drive shaft costs about $120 to replace when it breaks, so I don't want to spend more money on upgrading the fence on my current saw.

I have narrowed down the choice to two table saws:

Steel City 35990G Table Saw with granite table

Grizzly G0715P Table Saw

The Grizzly is $894 delivered. I can get the Steel City at a local tool supply store for $699 (special deal).

Which saw do you recommend?

Thanks
    Steve

I have the granite top craftsman table saw and love it. I believe it is almost the same as a steel city saw. It passes the penny/nickel on edge test with no problem. I have had the saw for over a year, purchased it on clearance for about 700 bucks. It has side mounted tenons so adjusting the table for square is easy enough. I just received a woodpecker saw gauge for xmas and the blade is still true. I have no chips or cracks in the top and don't see it ever being an issue unless I knock the 450 pound saw over.
    Have never had a grizzly table saw but have heard good things about them. I do have a grizzly band saw, 14.5", it is nice. I would definitely say the fit and finish on my craftsman is better. On the other hand grizz table saws might be made with closer tolerances than my band saw.

Oh then do you like it and which type of it.