Stripping varnish from oak dresser

Hey Guys,

I was wondering if any of you knew of a good non-toxic stripper I could use on an a oak dresser that is covered in varnish. My wife has asked me to match the dresser to the same color as the baby furniture we received. She thinks that it is a shade to light. Once I get the varnish off I plan on sanding it down and then staing it to match and then putting a new coat of varnish on. Thank in advance.

P.S. This is a great site.

RE: Stripping varnish from oak dresser

I recommend a product called Citristrip. It's available at HD and other centers. It's waterbased and can be used inside. It has no aromatic toxicity, smells like oranges. Easy clean up with water. Works well and is safer to use than MC based strippers. For the slight grain raising you may get, try light sanding after wood dries.
    :)
    "I'M NEVER WRONG - BUT I'M NOT ALWAYS RIGHT"

there is also a product called peelaway - non toxic - brush it on - let sit for 10 min to 10 hours - wipe and use a paint scraper to remove the glob - works very well. some people say ot even smells nice - i think that is a bit carried away - but not so bad that you have to leave the room.

Thanks for the help guys. I am going to attempt the stripping this weekend. Once it is completed I will let you know how it turned out.

Burlington, North Carolina, United States.

Both these gents have put you on the right path with two great products. Chose whatever you think best and go for it. If you want a more detailed primer e-mail me and i'll send you one that I wrote. I got into woodworking via refinishing furniture. It's the thing that I have the most experience doing.

spartaduck@yahoo.com

Well on saturday I used the Citristrip to take off the varnish and it wok pretty good for me. Now I have some sanding to do and then I can start with the new stain and varnish. Again thanks for all of the help.