What tools do I need for two small projects?

Hi, I'm new to woodworking, trying to get started in it and I had two small projects I want to do and I want to know what tools I should start with to get them done.

The two projects I want to do are to

1) Make a small wooden platform to raise up my TV a few inches

2) I want to make a small Wooden housing for my modem, router, microcell and phone, something similar to shape below. I'd want the back to be solid with holes for wires to go through where the shelf is

-----------------
    | |
    | |
    -----------------
    | |
    | |
    -----------------

Sorry if I'm being very vague with my question, any help would be appreciated

Do you have any tools available now? Providing you can cut square, you can use a hand saw, nails and glue. I prefer screws personally because they seem to be cleaner. I don't have a nail gun that shoots anything larger than brads and staples.

In the end all you need to do is cut and join the wood somehow.
    For the holes, I would use a hole saw or a flat wood drill bit. You'll need a power drill for both. A jigsaw could work but I envision the hole to be less than 2" in diameter so that may be tight.

Ideally, if you have access to a miter or table saw, you can ensure straight and square cuts.

The same advice pretty much applies to the small TV platform.

Does that help at all?

One other thing, it may just be easier and cheaper to buy something and modify it if you don't have access to tools.

1) A simple platform like this?:

TV shelf 8-17-13.jpg
    You will need a way to cut the pieces (handsaw, power saw, whatever) and a way to join them together. Could be nails, screws, dowels, dovetails, or a myriad of possibilities. Your choice. Could be done with nothing more than a handsaw and a hammer.

2) Something like this?:
    phone shelf 8-17-13.jpg
    Again, many different joinery methods are possible. Nails would be weak here (unless you added a back), but screws, dowels, mortise-and-tenon joints, etc. would work. Tools required would include: a saw to cut the parts, a drill to make the holes, and whatever is needed to create whatever joinery you decide on (a drill for dowels, saw and chisel for M&T, screwdriver for screws,...)

I have an Ethan Allen corner desk and it has some places where the finish has worn off down to the wood. I put some stain on it and it match really well. The problem is the stain is still tacky. How do I clean the tacky off and stain it to match without ruining the desk?
    Mohammad Ryland

Hi, Jerry
    Thanks for the information you have shared. Actually I also needed the rack of this type for my modem and router. I got a design from your image.....

Glad that helped you.