HELP!!! 1.25" Overlay Cabinet Doors and Locks

Folks,

I am perplexed at this issue. I have to put on a door lock on a 1.25" overlay cabinet door. This means the door covers most of the face frame and the door style is a rope miter door, hence I cannot "destroy the appearance of the door to mount the lock. Any ideas? Thanks...
    David L. Velleux
    Artisan Custom Cabinetry & Woodworking (http://www.artisanccw.com)
    General Manager

David--

Not sure I understand the issue. You want to mount a keyed lock in a cabinet door, right? And the cabinet door overlays the face frame 1.25" on the "latch side" (opposite the hinges), right? Can't you drill in a standard cabinet door lock (3/4" bore)?

If the best "flat spot" in your stile is over the face frame, can you notch the face frame for the lock strike? Or put the lock on the top or bottom rail? (A picture would help us all understand this better).

Jerry,

You got it right. This is a face frame cabinet, using 1" x 2" boards to create the frame. The doors are 1.25" overlay on all sides, hence the edge is further way than it would be for a more typical 0.5" overlay door. Additionally, the doors are a mitered rope style, hence that detail MUST be kept...

I want to put the lock on the side opposite the Euro hinges since mounting it on the top or bottom would allow a young person to simply pry the door back and grab the liquor inside. Because of the rope braid, I am thinking of using a magnetic lock like one does for a child...
    David L. Velleux
    General Manager

Quote Originally Posted by dvelleux View Post
    I am thinking of using a magnetic lock like one does for a child...
    That might work, but the magnetic locks I've seen have a mechanism that projects into the cabinet on the back of the door which could conflict with your face frame. If you're willing to notch the face frame to accommodate the lock, why not install a standard lock?

Or is there no flat spot on your stile?

Or---if you want to get exotic, there is an electronic lock that operates from a remote keypad. The entire lock is inside the cabinet--no visible hardware when the door is closed.

electronic lock

Jerry,

Of course, each stile is flat on both its show face and the inside edge leading into the cabinet. Again, my biggest issues is with the overall look, due to the rope braid. The electronic lock looks good, but is cost prohibitive...

I am thinking of going with this unit from Rev-A-Shelf, which will not require damaging the door, nor the face frame. Yes, I would like to go with a more mechanical lock for longer lasting, more durable effectiveness, but the kids at my client's house will eventually learn how to defeat ANY lock, if they absolutely wish...

I am also looking into using a conventional cabinet door look, mortising the face frame a bit to form a cup directly behind the lock itself, then I will need to get an extended metal cam to reform into horizontal Z-shape and cut a small slot in the face frame to accept the sideways, rotational movement of the cam as it opens and closes. That will most likely be the route I will take...
    David L. Velleux
    General Manager

Sounds like you've got it figured out. If it were me, I would use a conventional cabinet door lock (with a z-shaped cam to accommodate a 3/4 door and 3/4 face frame---these are pretty standard) and cut away the face frame as needed to provide clearance for the lock and cam.

lock

It all depend on your need and thinking better ask to expert. He/She will suggest you according to your demand.