Wiring Up My New Shop

I am new to the forum and will get better with my posts in the future. I hope this is in the right place. I am working on my plans for an 8' x 12' shop and wondering if you guys could give me some electrical advice. The equipment in the shop will be the following (approx.) Wood lathe 36", table saw, router table, compound sliding miter saw, chop saw, arc/tig welder, plasma cutter, mig welder, 21 gal compressor, 12" mini metal lathe and various hand power tools. That is just a general idea of what will be in the shop. I know its a lot for that size shop but keep in mind that the welders will not take up bench space and most of the metal stuff will be outside under a lean-to. I want to run a wire from the meter on the side of the house to the shop and install a fuse panel for the shop inside the shop, two florescent hanging lights, two rows of three receptacles down each side of the shop for tools, one dedicated 110v receptacle outlet for the compressor, and one dedicated 220v receptacle for the welding equipment (only one machine at a time). I have about 60' or so to run from the meter to the fuse panel in the shop. Any input from you guys will be greatly appreciated.

James

I would get with an electrician, that knows what he is doing, to wire up your shop. You will want multiple 220v 30 amp outlets and at least one 220v 60 amp outlet for the welder. You will also need several 15/20 amp 110v runs for the lighting and outlets for other power tools.

Earl

Waynesfield, OH (ugh!) Wife won't move....
    In our area the meters are sealed and breaking that seal can cost big bucks. That said, going from the meter will allow a 200 amp (or less) load, and you may have to size the wire to accommodate that, even if your panel is rated for much less. Checking those items out (with an electrician or the power provider) may save you some trouble down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by 3:6creations View Post
    I am new to the forum and will get better with my posts in the future. I hope this is in the right place. I am working on my plans for an 8' x 12' shop and wondering if you guys could give me some electrical advice. The equipment in the shop will be the following (approx.) Wood lathe 36", table saw, router table, compound sliding miter saw, chop saw, arc/tig welder, plasma cutter, mig welder, 21 gal compressor, 12" mini metal lathe and various hand power tools. That is just a general idea of what will be in the shop. I know its a lot for that size shop but keep in mind that the welders will not take up bench space and most of the metal stuff will be outside under a lean-to. I want to run a wire from the meter on the side of the house to the shop and install a fuse panel for the shop inside the shop, two florescent hanging lights, two rows of three receptacles down each side of the shop for tools, one dedicated 110v receptacle outlet for the compressor, and one dedicated 220v receptacle for the welding equipment (only one machine at a time). I have about 60' or so to run from the meter to the fuse panel in the shop. Any input from you guys will be greatly appreciated.

James

I wired my shop using a 60 amp breaker in one of the two 200 amp main breaker boxes (box about 1/2 loaded), with #4 / 3 conductor, running about 30 feet. Terminated in a 60 amp breaker box with (memory) 8 breakers. Although I did pull 220, I did not end up using it, but its there if I ever want it. Lights got a separate 15A circuit. Other circuits are 20A using #12. 2 circuits feeding table saw, planer are 30 amp using #10 wire. All outlets are heavy duty (not ordinary $.98 household outlets, as these get soft over several years of heavy use). No problems in 5 years.

Dear 3:6creations,
    If you want to do electrical wiring in your Shop (Either Single Phase or Three Phase)
    Then follow these simple Steps
    (remember this Installation also contains RCDs)

Single Phase & Three Phase Electrical Wiring Installation in Home

After a little research in the cost of the "service entrance" wire (I think that's what its called), I will probably go ahead with the building first and use a huge gauge extension cord to run one piece of equipment at a time. After I get the coin for the wiring, then I will get another permit for the second phase of the shop. Sounds redneckish but I figure if I'm only going to run one thing at a time and maybe a florescent light, I should be ok. The extension cord will be plugged into my washer outlet. If I need to use the plasma cutter with the air compressor combined, I will just plug them directly into the washer and dryer outlets and use them right outside the back door. This rigged setup should only have to tide me over for a month or so. I rekon if anything goes wrong, it will just trip the breaker.