Thread: Gluing Question

Gluing Question

Hello,

I am new here and have a question that I told my Dad I would try to find the answer to. Your help would be greatly appreciated. My dad has a project where he will be gluing I believe pieces of old veneer back on their original surface and using a piece of flat wood to clamp the pieces securely to the surface. The question I have is, what can be used or done to keep the furniture glue bead that may squeeze out between the pieces of veneer from gluing the clamping wood to the veneer and ruining the whole project? My Dad heard a friend mention using wax paper between the glued veneer and the clamping piece, but when Dad tried using the wax paper in an experiment on two pieces of wood glued together, all it did was stick to the glue and tear. The wax paper did not help. Again, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Ann

Use clear packing tape, the stuff that looks like Scotch tape and tape the edge of the clamping board, where it meets the veneer.

+1 on the packaging tape. You can also use polyethylene (like Visqueen) or even Saran Wrap. A little paste wax on the packaging tape will add to the "easy release"

Quote Originally Posted by PlentyPine View Post
    Hello,

I am new here and have a question that I told my Dad I would try to find the answer to. Your help would be greatly appreciated. My dad has a project where he will be gluing I believe pieces of old veneer back on their original surface and using a piece of flat wood to clamp the pieces securely to the surface. The question I have is, what can be used or done to keep the furniture glue bead that may squeeze out between the pieces of veneer from gluing the clamping wood to the veneer and ruining the whole project? My Dad heard a friend mention using wax paper between the glued veneer and the clamping piece, but when Dad tried using the wax paper in an experiment on two pieces of wood glued together, all it did was stick to the glue and tear. The wax paper did not help. Again, any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Ann

Thank you retfr8flyr and Jerry M. Your suggestions are a BIG help. I will tell my Dad what you said. This will get him on the road to fixing his project. So, again, thank you so much!

Ann