Router table help

I built a router table and want to know which top to install. What material and thickness is the best? The skin on my old top buckled and is no use, probably because of the humidity Any advice?

Quote Originally Posted by willie View Post
    What material and thickness is the best?
    That's a loaded question. Best? Probably machined cast iron, or maybe granite. Too expensive for me, though. 2nd best, probably solid phenolic, still pretty expensive. Do you have a budget? High-pressure laminate (like Formica) on MDF is a good choice, but is not impervious to moisture issues. Low-pressure laminate (melamine) would be the low-budget choice, but not much improvement, probably, from what you've got now.

I've got a melamine router table, and a HPL table. Both work fine for me. Thickness really only matters in terms of reducing/eliminating sag---structure under the table will influence this (better, flatter sub-structure = less need for thick top and vice versa).

Waynesfield, OH (ugh!) Wife won't move....
    I used 1/2 of a solid core door, turns out "solid core" means it's particle board. But that was about 12 years ago and it's still flat. I think the more common material is MDF, 2 pieces 3/4" thick laminated and covered both sides with HPL (I did that to mine). But thwe real key to keeping it flat (IMHO) is to have a grid work built into the cabinet supporting the top, my table is a version of what Norm built and it has done quite well.