Need advise on new project

I decided to attempt to restore some mahogany chairs i have as a personal project now that im redoing the living room.

So the first thing i did was to remove the upholstery on them and then remove the staples, which left some horrible holes on the wood.

I sanded the entire chairs to remove the old paint as well and now the plan was to stain them but the problem im having here is that i need to cover this staple holes and i need to know how to do that.

I purchased a wood filler but on the forums ive read that the filler wont get the stain so im pretty much clueless on how to proceed

Can anyone give me some advise on how to do this task

Thanks

I think I'd patch the holes to keep the wood solid, but wouldn't plan on making them visible. I'd plan on covering them with the new upholstery or painting over them. There are thick stains, basically paint, that can look good & cover up most ills. I've never had any luck trying to cover a patch with a thin stain, but I'm not very good at it, either.

Depending on the looks & colors you're going for, you might be able to make them into a 'feature'. If you used a black or dark brown patching compound, then sanded well & stained with a dark stain, they'd show up as a different, but possibly not horrible. I'm thinking of how people make fake distressed wood, creating & filling voids with a darker color.

Waynesfield, OH (ugh!) Wife won't move....
    I think you may have more problems with a stain on previously finished wood than you might suspect; the holes may be the lesser problem. In any case it would be almost impossible to fill them in a way they won't be seen so I think JimMac's idea of covering them is as good as you'll be able to do. Good luck with the effort!

Thumbs up

I have heard that a good way to fill in cracks and holes is to use a mixture of wood glue and sawdust. You can fill in the holes using a putty knife. That is more likely to take the stain. Hope they turn out beautiful.
    Last edited by Thomas22; 05-07-2014 at 08:22 PM.

I use the sawdust/glue trick, but I've never had great luck with it except on small holes that are machine sanded. Even then, the grain is different so it doesn't show the stain the same. On a small hole in new wood, that's not a big deal, but I don't think it will work on something that's being refinished with large holes.

Fred's point about the issues with staining previously painted wood is probably more important overall. The old finish won't come off evenly, so restaining will be half art with the correct type of stain. A couple of coats of gel stain maybe? I guess it depends on the look a person is going for. I generally go for the antique look - dark stain, darker in crevices & dings. It hides a lot of ills fairly quickly & is within my limited finishing skills.