Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

After the last coat of poly, do you use anything to protect

My last of three coats went on my coffee table . Do you folks wax it or spray it with any protectant of any kind?
    Any recommendations ?
    Thanks in advance

RE: After the last coat of poly, do you use anything to prot

I never have ... i might have heard of people waxing it, but it seems kind of pointless to me. Poly's basically the best protection for the wood in terms of impact and durability. I don't see a need to protect my protection :P

I do what I do - others have their own stuff that they do.

I wet sand with 600 lightly, sometimes I use automotive rubbing compound after that, lastly I paste wax and buff.

Necessary? - no, but I like the results. I often get the WOW factor.

Leo,

Does the sanding with 600 grit, then waxing get rid of the plastic look that poly finishes usually have? About how often do you need to rewax the surface on say, an endtable? I've never waxed a poly surface, I'm wondering how durable it is for furniture that will get some use, like a tabletop....

Thanks,

John

Education: that which reveals to the wise, and conceals from the stupid, the vast limits of their knowledge. -- Mark Twain

Hi,i wax,my poly finish doesn`t look like plastic,i don`t like the look.I use a satin poly mix,no need to sand no higher then 220.its not a car,i like the feel and look of wood,its pleasure to touch.My final finish is better then a store bought peice.When i am in a store and run my hand across a peice and the under lip of an edge it feels bumbpy,not mine though. Carl

Can you explain your process of applying the wax? How do you apply it, How do you buff it, how long do you wait in between?

Thanks,

I don't like high gloss poly - THAT's what looks like plastic to me. Satin poly is quite nice - very low sheen!

I really like satin polyurethane varnish; I use it on pretty much everythign I make, mostly because it's what I have available, and I know how to apply it.

If I were to buy an air compressor and experiment a bit, I might change my methods, but it's what works for me for right now...

Hi, i just use an ordinary household spay wax for furniture,such as Old English,Spray it on and wipe it off.The wax acts like an aid to reduce friction as to when you slide a coffee cup across it,if the cup is a little rough it helps not to scratch finish.Carl

I don't like GLOSS.

I do use satin poly. True - there is some hazy stuff in the poly but I beieive it is so little that it doesn't detract from the wood. Others disagree.

The 600 wet sand will "satin" the finish a tiny bit more, and the rubbing compound even a tiny bit more. The paste wax will bring back a little sheen, but not to a gloss.

OK - the 600 wet will remove any remaining nibs. The rubbing compound will make the surface smooth. The paste wax will make the surface slick.

Maintain the finish with spray on furniture stuff.

You get the proctective durable atributes of the poly. Poly is about the toughest finish you can apply. Heck - you can wash it with soap and water, dry it and rewax it, and it will be as good as new. The poly is what is going to protect your coffee table - not the wax. The wax makes it "feel" nice and slick, and gives it a bit of a sheen.

Leo, what is the "wet" that is used in wet sanding? Mineral spirits? An oil of some kind?