Proper Grit for Sanding Between coats of Paint?

I'm in the process of finishing a cabinet and I've been using 600 grit sandpaper to smoots out each layer of paint (I'm using a foam roller to apply the paint). I can still see the "orange peel" after really sanding for a while. I'm afraid to use 220 grit though because I don't want to strip off the entire coat of paint - what is customary for this process? Thanks!!

RE: Proper Grit for Sanding Between coats of Paint?

Personally, I don't think I'd use a roller...

I have made much painted furniture and I hate the foam rollers. Try the regular nap rollers, they come in small and medium sizes in addition to the regular full size. I usually hit the primer coat with 220 grit. I also like shellac based primer much better than latex or oil.

Well, it's either a roller or a brush and the brush strokes don't look so hot. I'm actually wet sanding the top layer of lacquor smooth with 1500 grit sandpaper and then applying several coats of an automotive rubbing compound and then some automotive polish. I made up a test panel and it came out nice but you can still see a hint of the "orange peel" if you look close enough and I'm trying to get rid of it (otherwise it's a very slick finish - you can see your reflection and it looks almost like it came from a factory). The slight "orange peel" might be something I just have to live with...

1500 grit 600 grit 220 grit ---> forget all that. Your roller will do no better than about 60 or 80 grit. You're sanding FAR - very far - beyond what can be acheived by your painting method.

Paint, especially waterbased paint "cannot", get to the finish you are trying to get with 600 grit sanding.

Sorry, but, 150 is the highest grit you should be using for sandpaper before painting. Even 150 grit - is even a stretch, 80 - 100 before water based painting is as high as I would reccomend. IF "Oil" based paint of a "premium" quality (cannot - I repeat - CANNOT get that at Home Depot) is being used, I "might" go to 150 grit. Paint is thick and does NOT "lay out" like a oil based Polyeurethane finish. Paint is DIFFERENT than poly.

Now "IF" you are using a PREMIUM "oil" based paint, and I mean "PREMIUM" - then maybe 150 grit would -"maybe"- make a difference.

For flatten paint between coats, 320 paper mounted on a hard rubber sanding pad is the correct grit. Let the paint dry at least 24 hours--more if the temperature is below 70 degrees.

That said, you will not end up with smooth surface if you are using a roller.

If I get it right your rolling on lacquer? Never tried that one.