pocket hole on 45 degree edge

I am putting together a corner shelf unit, and am curious the best way to attache the face frame; normally I use pocket holes for this - can I still do that even though the 2 pieces will be meeting at 45 degrees instead of 90? Would I just use a shorter screw? I do not have a biscut joiner, so that is out. I do have a brad nalier, but the sides will be plywood, and I am wary of nailing into the edcge of plywood... should I be?

Thanks!

RE: pocket hole on 45 degree edge

Shouldn't have any problem going at it the way you describe. Appropriately sized screw should do the job :)

I found that pocket hole screws hold much better in 1 direction then the other, depending where the force is applied to the joint. I guess it's why they work on face frames.

If the screws are on the inside of the joint (where else would they be) and the trim is backed up with the panel, then you're good.

Brad nails from a nailer would also work and a little line of glue wouldn't hurt either. I put glue on everything, even when I know it's not really a glue joint.

"Red"

Biscuits would be my first choice but w/o a biscuit joiner that is out. Nails shouldn't damage anything but pocket screws will give a much stronger joint and will not leave any holes that need to be filled. It's just a matter of starting the hole at the right location -- you'll probably need to set the jig back from the 'outer' edge of the miter to get the screw to come out near the middle of the plywood -- and using the right length screw. I'd try the first one in some scrap then once you've got it the way you want, it should go quick.

Edit - I agree with Red, I'd put a bead of glue all the way around the face frame. Even though gluing to a plywood edge won't add much strength, it doesn't hurt.

Port Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada.

Am I missing something here, or can you simply run screws through the back of the carcass into the face frame.

Sawdust Making 101
    http://sawdustmaking.com
    Frank C

Sawdust Making 101
    http://sawdustmaking.com

Re-reading your question I see that you are asking how to attach the face frame and said you normally use pocket hole screws.

Normally pocket hole screws and pocket hole jigs are used to hold the sections of a face frame together.

I attach the assembled face frame to the cabinet with FF biscuits cut with a biscuit cutter.

Others have done this by simply gluing the frame and clamping it to the cabinet alone.

Or with grooves cut into the frame and cabinet that are then splined.

But if you hold the frame to the cabinet with screws, they're gonna show, maybe it would be better to just glue and clamp. No screws showing.

"Red"