RE: renewing butcher block

If you've got deep knife gouges, ya're gonna' hafta' either hand-plane it (with a scrub plane) or sand it with wicked coarse paper. It'd take a LOT of work with a card scraper to find the bottoms of deep gouges.

If they're not really deep, though... this'd be an excellent time to learn all about card scrapers. Ya'll LIKE those!

-- Tim --

Member of the
    Robert "Limey" Bolton Memorial
    International
    Volunteer Mentorship and Assistance
    Programme

Though they may have called that Butcher Block counter top, it really is not in the traditional sense of the title. Butcher blocks should be made with the end grain facing the surface on which you cut stuff. The ends of the wood fibers sort of split apart as you cut, then spring back in place when the knife is lifted.

Lots of sanding will be needed to remove the cut marks. If they deep, I'd take a belt sander to it, then follow up with a jointer plane.

I have a 5" random orbital sander....

David

Before doing any sanding, I would give it a good wipe down with a solvent, like mineral spirits, or lacquer thinner to remove as much oil as you can. Let dry well and if the defects are severe, use a belt sander if you have one, or a ROS, or block sander. A scraper will also work. You'll have to be careful not to put a dip in the bad areas. Your abrading should be feathered out. You will probably find that the sandpaper will load up fairly easy.

If you use a plane, and you're not too experienced with it and it's not honed too well, you could do more harm than good.

I'd either pick up a scraper (super cheap) or go the sanding route... don't try and work the knife marks over too heavily - you are going to need to sand a fair amount of that top that isn't effected.... eh - that's life. It is SURPRISINGLY easty to sand a groove right in the middle of a large flat board...especially when you are focusing on a defect or blemish.

Take your time - work through the grits of sand paper - don't skimp to save time. Clean off the work piece with mineral spirts ever now and again and evaluate your progress.

If you can not remove the counter top and take it to the shop and you MUST do the sanding on sight - I'd strongly suggest hooking your shop vac up to your sander if it is possible.

Good luck!

Zac

renewing butcher block

Hi, All,

I have a kitchen island and several years ago took the top off and replaced it with a beech countertop from Ikea. Now it's got lots of knife marks and, recently, even some circular burns from putting a high-heated dutch oven onto the board. Any ideas how best to clean up and renew the board? It's bare wood, apart from the mineral oil I've laid in every so often.

I could sand it, but am unsure how even it would look in the end. (Really, only one part of the board needs treatment. I don't have a scraper, but I hear those are nice. I have a cheap Stanley plane, but I think that a plane might struggle going from one piece of wood to the next (it's not an end-grain butcher block).

David