slot mortiser plans

I'm thinking of making myself a slot mortiser using a router as the power unit. One problem I haven't resolved. Routers run in the 25000 rpm range while dedicated slotters hang in around 3600 rpm. Is there a way to slow down a router without sacrificing HP?

Also, found one plan for making the device on the WWW. You guys have any sites to recommend that could expand my knowledge base?

art

Linton, Indiana, United States of America.

RE: slot mortiser plans

I don't believe you can reduce speed w/o proportionally reducing HP in a single phase electric motor. You might consider reducing speed mechanically by means of pulley system, but that would necessitate modifying the router a bit...and would also take up considerably more room.
    I thought there were a few electrical engineers on this site at one time, but maybe that's changed...or I'm wrong. They could tell you why this can't be achieved. I believe there is a formula associated with this:

HP = torque X speed / 5250, so when you reduce the number for speed (rpm) then the quotient becomes less as well (quotient being the HP)

Dumb question: What is a slotter? At first, I was thinking that you were talking about a horizontal router/mortiser like David Marks uses, but then I realized that reducing speed wouldn't really be necessary...or would it? I'm relatively new to woodworking. -Bobby

Port Coquitlam, British Columbia, Canada.

Have you looked at the kit Rockler has?
    http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=18053&sid=AF078

Frank C.
    Sawdust Making 101
    http://sawdustmaking.com
    Frank C

Sawdust Making 101
    http://sawdustmaking.com

Linton, Indiana, United States of America.

hey that's pretty slick. reg price might constitute building it, but for the sale price...

the multi-router was the tool I was thinking about earlier!

I want a horizontal mortiser. I thought if I used a router it could also double as a horizontal router.

Slot mortisers usually run at much lower RPMs than a router. The slower speed makes for more precise control resulting in a smoother cut.

art

maybe i'm stating the obvious...but what about a variable speed router?