Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Doyle

Harbor Freight and Cummings Tools

I am wanting feedback on power tools sold buy these discount tool companies. Does anybody have any horror stories or good reviews for the average user. I am particularly wondering about the chicago brand tools sold by Harbor freight, I believe.

RE: Harbor Freight and Cummings Tools

I have purchased tools from them and I have mixed feelings. I think what it comes down to is the kind of tool you are purchasing. i have one of their drill presses, for example, and it's put in over a year of good service. A drill press is a simple tool and I felt their prices were too good to pass up. I'm glad I did it, but I would hesitate to buy a more complicated tool or - such as a router, planer, or a table saw. Chances are you're going to have to tune it up yourself and their customer support is NOT good at all.

I have heard that their jointers are a good deal, but I don't have one so i can't testify of that myself.

Hope this helps some.

boyce

http://members.home.net/boyce-sandy/woodshop.html

Sonny Edmonds

I won't deal with Harbor Freight myself ever again. Not that I have bought that much from them anyway.
    It's always buyer beware. They have no stake in the customers satisfaction and it takes months and months to get something replaced. IF, IF they can get a replacement.

My .02 cents.

Sonny

I think most if not all their stuff is real cheep...but they make no bones about the quality of the stuff. It is a perfect place to purchase that speciality item that you will only use once or twice. An odd sized hole saw is my latest example. I really love to just look around, but I like to look through garage sales too. Your get what you pay for.

Hermit

I have purchased a large quantity of various Harbor Freight house brand tools with success. I did have a compressor that stopped working 2 days after I bought it and they simply refunded my money straight away. I really like the Central Machinery tools which upon close inspection is quite similar in manufacture to DeWalt, Delta and Jet. I have even compared several of the tools to Grizzly brand items and found them to be identical.

I like the 3 1/4 hp router which is a monster!. I know of several shops that have used that model for several years without fail.

I usually buy my tools at one of the outlets and have dealt with mail order from Harbor Freight. Their mail order department take much longer than other companies to deliver the products.

As for parts, I don't know anything as I haven't needed to use that section of the company.

Hope that helps you out...
    Hermit

I'm lucky enough to live about 2 miles from one of their store's
    so over the last 3 years or so I've returned a few products. as
    long as you have the sales slip there is no problems what so ever.
    you can get your money back or exchange the item, I've never had even a slight problem returning things. Like I said in 3 years I've returned a few things but I've purchased a lot of stuff there. I person can save a lot of money there like one of the other people said about their machinery " if you plan to use it everyday in a business be causious. 90 % of the tools I got there as still being used in my shop.

Frank

Charles (Guest)

I'm in agreement that Harbor Freight's products are generally poorly made and that their customer service is the worst! I purchased a drill press as a gift for a friend. I purchased it over the internet and was promised that it would be delivered within two weeks. It actually took over a month (and about ten phone calls) to be delivered. When it arrived, it was broken. I was told the part was not in stock and was on backorder. Getting the replacement part as about another two months! So, over three months to get a working drill press. My friend has used the drill press for nearly a year now. Last week he told me that the spindle was starting to wobble and he thinks the spindle bearing is wearing out. I learned my lesson. I will certainly try my best to never be a Harbor Freight customer again!

Frank,
    I'm also about 2 miles from a HF store.

I buy things like saw blades that are going to run into nails at $3-$5 each.

I've looked at their joiner and was unimpressed and bought a Delta off the web. I was going to buy a Lincoln wire welder from HF but Home Depot was $10 cheaper.

I like the fiberglass/plastic calipers at $3. I bought a dial indicator and magnetic base to align the saw. The dial indicator is repeatable which is all that I really needed. I have no clue as to how accurate the dial indicator is, nor do I need to know.

HF had a sale on bar clamps. This was my largest purchase and about $60. The clamps (Pittsburgh brand, miC) are ok, no complaints. But then how hard is it to screw up a clamp?

Rich

Thumbs down Grinder problems

Quote Originally Posted by Doyle View Post
    I am wanting feedback on power tools sold buy these discount tool companies. Does anybody have any horror stories or good reviews for the average user. I am particularly wondering about the chicago brand tools sold by Harbor freight, I believe.
    "i have a cummins 6" 1/2 hp bench grinder that I bought at a tool sale several years ago. the spark shields and tool holder did not come with it as promised. in addition there is no way to lock the shaft when trying to tighten the nuts on the end of the shaft. this was a poorly thought out machine and almost useless.

As with any of these discount stores, you get what you pay for. If you are looking for quality you go where you know you will get quality, but you will pay the price. If you are looking for inexpensive tools knowing that it might not last then you go somewhere like Harbor Freight. Just keep in mind that inferior tools my give you inferior results in your project.