Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Magnetic shut-off switch

  1. #1
    PMichaels
    Guest

    Magnetic shut-off switch

    Does anyone have plans/wiring schematics for magnetic shut-off switches? These switches do not let power tools restart after a power interruption.

  2. #2
    Phil B
    Guest

    RE: Magnetic shut-off switch

    Magnetic switches aren't too tough to make, do you want to build your own or buy one? Grizzly and woodworkers supply sell the el-cheapo types for less than you can buy parts.

    PMB
    http://benchmark.20m.com


  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    New Smyrna Beach, Florida.
    Posts
    2,681

    RE: Magnetic shut-off switch

    [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Apr-07-01 AT 11:12PM (CDT)[/font][p]Basically all it is is a DPDT relay with a set of switch contacts. Instead of turning on the tool directly, your switch pulls in the relay and it latches on (the 'on' switch is momentary action). If the power goes out the relay drops and you have to hit the 'on' button again to get it to pull in.

    The 'off' button is a Normally Closed switch in series with the relay winding. When you hit the momentary 'off' switch the effect is the same as a power off and the relay drops out and stays out.

    Hang on a bit and I'll post a schematic... but really it is cheaper to buy...


    Here is the data from Woodcraft:

    [blockquote]110v - 15 Amp Magnetic Switch
    Product Number 127190
    Price:$54.99
    [/blockquote]

    ... time passes ...

    Here you are!

    http://www.netexperts.cc/~lambertm/Wood/magsw.gif

    M

  4. #4
    dicklaxt
    Guest

    RE: Magnetic shut-off switch

    MM..Do you have a reason to use the second switch? It will funtion with one switch by extending lead that is routed to NO2 to the device and omitting Sw#2

    Dick

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Location
    New Smyrna Beach, Florida.
    Posts
    2,681

    RE: Magnetic shut-off switch

    [font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Apr-08-01 AT 10:52AM (CDT)[/font][p]Habit. Good design tells you to keep your control and high power circuits separate.

    Actually the feed to NO2 should be direct from the plug instead of from where shown this is so that the switch contacts do not carry the full load of the device. Cheaper and smaller switches. I've redrawn it to show the correct wiring.

    M

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •